Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Training

Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Default Computer Science Student looking to learn audio stuff

So I am a computer science undergrad at UC San Diego. I was originally going to be a music major back in community college until I took a mixing class (pro tools) which peaked my interest in software and I changed my major to cs. I'd like to get into some audio-related programming but I'm not sure where to start. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there able to give me some advice on what to start looking at to start learning. If not, maybe point me in the direction of another forum where this post would be more related?
Thanks
Old 02-13-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Computer Science Student looking to learn audio stuff

Welcome,
I believe that the VST plug-in format has a free Developer Kit

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-13-2015, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=danilos;2232355]So I am a computer science undergrad at UC San Diego. I was originally going to be a music major back in community college until I took a mixing class (pro tools) which peaked my interest in software and I changed my major to cs. I'd like to get into some audio-related programming but I'm not sure where to start. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there able to give me some advice on what to start looking at to start learning. If not, maybe point me in the direction of another forum where this post would be more related?

"audio related programming" is such a hugely broad description, that we have no idea what sort of thing you might want to do.

There are several open source DAWs. Lots of open source music tools, toolkits/frameworks, digital signal processing tools etc. Apple CoreAudio is a pretty neat framework for doing lots of stuff. Then yes developer tools kits for plugins for some of the commercial DAWs are available relatively easily (unlike Avid AAX).

UC San Diego have academic staff that works on signal processing, lots of image/vision but some audio (e.g. look up Gert Lanckriet). You might want to look at what they do, some of the undergraduate courses available.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM

Cool thanks a lot guys, I realize that my post was very general. I'm totally new at this stuff, so I had no idea what to ask for. I guess I was looking for a way to utilize my coding abilities. The plugin stuff looks pretty interesting. But for right now I think you guys gave me enough to get the ball rolling. I'll definitely start looking into your recommendations.

Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Old 02-14-2015, 03:08 PM

some studio time watching and learning would be a good thing as well

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig