Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 AM

Default 002 Control Surface Mute Button Broken/Stuck..!

O.K. so here is the deal.

I’ve been using my 002 Control Surface reliably now for some time and never really had any issues. Now out of the blue I’m having a “Monitor Mute Button” issue. When powering on the unit the Monitor Mute button will not disengage the mute? I’m aware that the unit boots up in this state but I’ve never had an issue with disengaging the mute button before now.

I’ve seen several posts where individuals are having what’s been termed a “Power Harness Issue” but I don’t think this is what’s going with my 002 and here is why. All those that have reported this issue have stated that there 002 looses communication altogether with Pro Tools and mine is not behaving in this manor. I still have good communication with Pro Tools. My sessions are all up and running nominally except for my mute button staying engaged. I can still use my headphone out and use my 002 in this fashion but this simply is not an option when needing to hear my monitors.

The mute button feels as though it’s functioning properly. When depressing it feels as though it’s running the full range of motion. When comparing it to the feel of other buttons it feels the same as the others. This button by nature would however receive more use than others as it is necessary to inactivate it in order to hear out of the control room monitors.

I’ve tried the following with no luck …

A) Rebooting
B) Uninstalling and Reinstalling
C) Buying a can of Compressed Air and blowing off the mute contact
D) Disconnecting everything and Rebooting
E) Reading the Getting Started Guide and following the directions

I’ve been told that reinstalling the software will automatically install any firmware updates that would be necessary but I have yet to see any installation check box’s that pertain to this feature. It is possible that these features are included on an actual installation disc of which I have never had. All my installations have been downloads from Digi’s sight. My products are all registered and legit so I have no worries there but this broken mute feature is bringing me to my knees.

Any and all suggestions and advice are whole-heartedly welcome.

MacBook Pro
2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OSX 10.5.7
Pro Tools 8 LE
Digidesign 002 Control Surface
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 002 Control Surface Mute Button Broken/Stuck..!

Not sure what that issue is but have you tried

To restore defaults:
1) Power 002 off.
2) Hold down the following 3 buttons: ESC+Display+Rec
3) Keep holding down these buttons
4) Power 002 on. Keep buttons depressed until "Restoring Defaults..." appears onscreen
5) Allow Restoring Defaults... to run through its whole natural cycle.. if it completes successfully, 002 will be left in Standby mode.

Otherwise, if your 002 serial ends in A through F, then I'd contact Digi for a free harness upgrade just to be safe. 888.918.3444
It's a toll free call and free repair if you tell them you just need a harness only. Have serial number on hand.

If harness doesnt fix it then could be something with the 002 and and Authorized Repair Center or Digi could check it out.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Reseating the harness couldn't hurt. A stuck mute button is a possible indication of the power harness problem. Keep in mind that the harness feeds 3 separate circuit boards in the 002(2 in the rack version) so depending on what functions, a bad connection to the board with the mute switch might cause this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Uber helpful..! Thanks for the quick response..! I’m not in front of the 002 at the moment (Working) so I’ll give these a try first thing this evening and get back with you concerning the results. Thanks again..! (I’m keeping my fingers crossed)

= )
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Well once again thanks for the tips so far.

The "Restoring Defaults" tip was a good one but did not resolve my problem. On further inspection my 002's serial does fall into the category of ending in A-F (Mine ends in "F").

So I’ll be thrown in cue for Digidesigns phone support in order to get a new power harness mailed out. In the interim of my new power harness arriving are there explicate instructions on he process of reseating the power harness to see if this may work?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...+power+harness

check my post about 4 replies down

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Nice...

Contacted Digi support... They did not charge me for the call due to it being a known issue and my unit falling with the known serial numbers.

My support technician (Mike) was very professional, understanding and helpful. They offered to mail it out via ground for free. I opted to have it overnighted ($15+change) simply because I can’t have the down time. For now I’ll try the power harness reseat and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all the advice.

By the way somewhere along my research here on the DUC someone motioned that calling Digi’s support line in there early hours (9:AM Pacific/12:Noon Eastern) would help in expediting the cue time and I have to agree. I only waited 3-4 minutes before getting taken care of. Good to know info..!

All the best..!