Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Accel PCI to PCI-e exchange is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I'm in the same boat - here's my take on this:
Running 8.0.3 on a 2GHz G5 HD3 system. PT9 on a Macbook Pro.
I bought a Magma chassis to connect the HD3 cards to the MBP and it was a complete disaster, so much so that I returned to to Magma. It was noisy (even with the so-called quiet fan), the MBP became very unstable (which it isn't when the chassis isn't attached) and it really didn't like having PT9 running with the HD cards one session and then without on the next. Emails to Magma support were replied quickly but with answers like "that's not supported/can't do that/that is the normal behaviour" I returned the unit which, being based in the UK, was slow.
So, I've decided to stick with things as they are and see what happens with Thunderbolt technology as I see this will be the way forward.
What do I do in the meantime? I use a lot of VIs and many of these don't work on the G5. I'm using VEPro to host these on my MBP (or even on a PC if I really felt I needed it, which I don't). This gives me everything I need. In fact, it's better than that. I don't have to use RTAS VIs and all the problems that seems to bring with it as I run these now on VEPro. Need more processing for more VIs? Add a cheap PC on the network and distribute the processing around.
Total cost? £0
If the G5 stops working then I'll just get another. You can pick them up for peanuts these days.
Native is not an option - too expensive for what it is and what it can do.
Come the Great Day Of The Revolution then I'll look at the options and make my move then, but at the moment I have two very stable systems that both do exactly what I need - why should I change now just because one of them is "out of date"?
If I feel the need to, I can put aside what it would cost for me to "upgrade" (which has a ridiculous cost/benefit ratio) so that when (and not if) the next generation comes along I won't be thinking "Dammit, just spent £xK on upgrading and look what's come along".
I'm not running a commercial studio and I'm sure if I was I would have had to upgrade, but I'm not going to upgrade just for the sake of it.
I feel the same way. If my system does everything I need it to, then why upgrade? And who knows about Thunderbolt/Lightpeak? I have seen Avid's prototype with thunderbolt running Pro Tools HD and video project at the same time. All with one cable disy chained. Looks pretty cool.
There are some other factors that come into play though. In my case, updating my Waves bundle, PT 9, etc... They just aren't supported on G-5, why? Bummer...
Do you network your VI's with multiple computers? I have thought about VEPro as I have seen the demo and have heard alot of people digging it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Hi

I asked my dealer in the UK and they contacted Avid who said it wasn't back!!
Is this US only or ???

rgds Scotsman
Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
I feel the same way. If my system does everything I need it to, then why upgrade? And who knows about Thunderbolt/Lightpeak? I have seen Avid's prototype with thunderbolt running Pro Tools HD and video project at the same time. All with one cable disy chained. Looks pretty cool.
There are some other factors that come into play though. In my case, updating my Waves bundle, PT 9, etc... They just aren't supported on G-5, why? Bummer...
Do you network your VI's with multiple computers? I have thought about VEPro as I have seen the demo and have heard alot of people digging it.
I don't have the latest version of Waves (Platinum) as that won't work on the G5, but the version I do have works fine on my G5 and MBP. As for PT9, again no problem. You can load projects saved on PT9 on the G5 (running PT8).
I haven't tried several computers running VEPro on the same network as the MBP has handled everything I've thrown at it. I can't see that there would be any difference slaving to three computers rather than one. Where it would be good is if there are VIs that are PC only that you want to use. You could set up a PC for next to nothing with the software on it and control it through something like LogMeIn. You also might have one computer dedicated to sample libraries. The great thing is that all the disk thrashing going on with large sample libraries won't have any effect on your main PT system. And, if you were working at another studio, all you have to take is the VEPro server computer with you (in my case my MBP), install the client on the studio's computer and you're good to go. Brilliant!
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Those prices are just to damn high!
Help out us old faithful pci customers by not raping us on this.
There has gotta be so many studios that would jump all over this if the price was right. Avid could cash in.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 AM

Smile Re: Accel PCI to PCI-e exchange is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
Hi

I asked my dealer in the UK and they contacted Avid who said it wasn't back!!
Is this US only or ???

rgds Scotsman
It's back...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM

I JUST did a major upgrade from Dual 2.3 G5 / HD3 PCIx to an 8-Core 2.4Ghz Westmere Mac Pro (2800 on Ebay, practically new) and the Magma Chassis, also used but like new for 2000. And 349 for the PT HD 9 crossgrade.

Total aprox $5200. Going the Avid exchange program, you start out close to $4000 for the same exact CPU power, add in the 3k for a Mac and.... Makes no sense to NOT go the Chassis way and its also psychologically soothing that you aren't paying for something you already have, with just a different connector shape.

Been running great since I got it about 3 weeks ago. (After i got my rev k HD Core Card swapped for free from Digi, since they dont work in the Magma :)

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 AM

Well, the only way to go IMHO is to sell the PCI TDM cards and get a good deal on a new or used PCIe system ...
It is only a matter of time that all kinds of chassis will be unsupported.

In Sweden we say like " Don´t paint yourself into a corner...", I guess that is true for the "chassi path".

I don´t know if this is due to my personal dislike of Magma, a company that is making the worlds most overpriced product in history.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Brazil cross-grade price:

Hd 1 pcix to hd 1 pcie = BRL 5768.00 = u$ 3603.00
Hd 1 pcix to hd 2 pcie = BRL 11500.00 = u$ 7180.00

Luck you, guys.
-----
Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Well, the only way to go IMHO is to sell the PCI TDM cards and get a good deal on a new or used PCIe system ...
It is only a matter of time that all kinds of chassis will be unsupported.

In Sweden we say like " Don´t paint yourself into a corner...", I guess that is true for the "chassi path".

I don´t know if this is due to my personal dislike of Magma, a company that is making the worlds most overpriced product in history.
You're absolutely right on all counts there. Open up a Magma chassis and what have you got? A PC (sorry to use that word) without a processor, RAM, hard disks and graphics controller. How much does a PC case cost? How much does a Magma chassis cost? That's one helluva margin.
There again, they have to cover their costs - I sent my chassis back after a week and was refunded in full. I'm in the UK so there would have been shipping costs from the US to the UK and back.
The chassis just didn't do it as far as I was concerned; too many compromises. And what happens when Avid bring out the next generation of HD cards that don't even use PCIe or they stop support for PCI/PCIX cards in an expansion chassis? How much is that Magma chassis going to be worth then?
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
You're absolutely right on all counts there. Open up a Magma chassis and what have you got? A PC (sorry to use that word) without a processor, RAM, hard disks and graphics controller. How much does a PC case cost? How much does a Magma chassis cost? That's one helluva margin.
There again, they have to cover their costs - I sent my chassis back after a week and was refunded in full. I'm in the UK so there would have been shipping costs from the US to the UK and back.
The chassis just didn't do it as far as I was concerned; too many compromises. And what happens when Avid bring out the next generation of HD cards that don't even use PCIe or they stop support for PCI/PCIX cards in an expansion chassis? How much is that Magma chassis going to be worth then?
I agree with all of you guys regarding Magma being way, way over priced. I do not like when companies take advantage of peoples situatons...Why doesn't someone make a clone chassis that works?
As for Avid exchange, like many have said. Over priced vs. performance. We get nothing but cards that will work in a newer MAC, and the MAC is gonna cost some bucks... If Avid would only see the light, and make a fair offer to us then we could all get on with our lives and have some fun making musiconce again.