Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2021, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Bug of the week: HDX offline bounce different from online bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
Interesting... In this case it was a multi-mono instance. I replaced the plugin with its multi-channel version, and then the mix comes out identical real time vs. offline. In both versions, when I audition the side-chain I hear both left and right channels. You have any more thoughts on this?
That's interesting! Another thing that has hit me was that I ended up with 2 paths named Main Out L/R. 1 of those was my usual output to monitors. The other was a bus(no idea how it happened). I had a handful of sessions where some tracks were feeding the bus instead of the outputs. When just playing back, everything sounded fine. But whenever I bounced, whatever tracks were assigned to that bus were missing from the bounced mix. Once I discovered and fixed those track output assignments, everything was fine

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Interesting... In this case it was a multi-mono instance. I replaced the plugin with its multi-channel version, and then the mix comes out identical real time vs. offline. In both versions, when I audition the side-chain I hear both left and right channels. You have any more thoughts on this?
Yeah, there's been other reports of buggy behavior with multi-mono instances on stereo buses esp related to offline bounce going back a ways. You should definitely report this to Avid and note that it's multi-mono. Personally I just stay away from multi-mono whenever possible. The fact that there's no multi-channel version of the Trim plug in is problematic.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-30-2021, 09:56 AM

It's important to note, for HDX users, that what you're hearing while mixing is the sound of the DSP mixer on the HDX card(s). When you do an offline bounce, your mix, including all plugins, automation, routing, etc., etc., is re-created in the Native mix environment (on the Intel CPU) and is a completely different thing than your DSP-based mix.

For those that are mixing with a Native mix engine (anything other than HDX), the offline version is (mostly) directly related to the 'online' version you've been working on all day.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:17 PM

Then, at least, Avid's own plugins should play the game and render the same in both offline and real-time. It's a complete joke.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:20 PM

I think avid said the native engine and HDx engine should sound the same now. Will null, etc....

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2021, 03:46 PM

Bug confirmed by AVID as PT-255520.
As always, no estimate on when it may (ever) be solved.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:17 AM

Very helpful post.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:40 AM

Once someone can explain me how offline bounce saves time, I might take a look. So far only doing realtime bounces.

offline bounce + reatime listen for quality control > realtime bounce
Old 02-07-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Bug confirmed by AVID as PT-255520.
As always, no estimate on when it may (ever) be solved.
I think the upshot is to avoid dual-mono whenever possible until (if ever) this buggy behavior gets fixed.

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 02-07-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Once someone can explain me how offline bounce saves time, I might take a look. So far only doing realtime bounces.

offline bounce + reatime listen for quality control > realtime bounce
Loads of use-cases, but here's one: You've built a mix and after the fact the artist/production requests a set of maybe 5 or 6 stems of the original mix: Bounce all offline and do one listen down of all stems summed to make sure they equal original mix (or even just do a null of the summed stems against original 2 mix).

Personally, most of the time any stem requirements are built into the mix, but for various reasons not always and things often change after delivery. Cannot imagine ever having to go back to no offline bounce. Also, FWIW, never had an issue with it here, though I would never allow anything out without a QC pass.