Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Default Multi Platinum Pro Tools DVD : TRIM RTAS plugin and fader above zero

On the Multi Platinum Pro Tools Mixing DVD, John Merchant puts a GAIN RTAS pluin across all audio tracks. He does this so all faders can live really close to zero. He ues GAIN to get basic level. He then uses the faders to ride levels. he ends up brining faders WAY above zero. As epr John, two advantages of this are to look cool, and so that you can make very fine fader moves. Teh closer to zero, the more you have to use your mouse to make tiny adjustments. (I use a 002 to do rides, so I don't think this applies to me and others with a control surface).

His sample mix sounds great, but I am curious if there is anything technically wrong with this. There definitely is no visible, in the red, clipping. Are there any advantages that you see with this, assuming I am using a control surface?

thanks

jesse
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Multi Platinum Pro Tools DVD : GAIN RTAS plugin and fader above zero

See my reply in your other thread.. He uses the TRIM plug.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Multi Platinum Pro Tools DVD : TRIM (not GAIN) RTAS plugin and fader above zero

my bad. TRIM is what i meant. I suppose my question still applies...

Third huge advantage is being able to flip phase
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Multi Platinum Pro Tools DVD : TRIM (not GAIN) RTAS plugin and fader above zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseF View Post
my bad. TRIM is what i meant. I suppose my question still applies...

Third huge advantage is being able to flip phase
You can flip phase on most every EQ plugin as well. I prefer to only use as many plugins as I need to get the job done(but that's just me).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Multi Platinum Pro Tools DVD : TRIM RTAS plugin and fader above zero

Yeah I'm with Albee'sure... I myself hardly if ever use the trim plug.. Everyone has there thing tho...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Multi Platinum Pro Tools DVD : TRIM RTAS plugin and fader above zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseF View Post
His sample mix sounds great, but I am curious if there is anything technically wrong with this. There definitely is no visible, in the red, clipping. Are there any advantages that you see with this, assuming I am using a control surface?
There isn't anything technically wrong with this at all. He obviously understands that all faders with a logarythmic taper have greater resolution at the top, regardless of being real or virtual. Your having a control surface makes no difference.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM

I will use a trim plug to temporarily boost a track(like for vocal tuning or other editing. Maybe I have old habits that won't die

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM

I think it would come down to how you record.. Getting good input levels probably would negate the need for a lot of it..

But you never know what someone will hand you to work with.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM

If the levels are that bad I just use the audiosuite gain and process them to -1 or so. Then the faders show somthing close to the actual mix levels.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:53 PM

As I usually use the Waves SSL plug across every fader, like on an SSL console if I need it, there's a trim pot...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...