Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 06:24 PM

Default I don't understand why these aren't working

I've been trying to record my electric guitar for awhile now and I'm getting frustrated.

I was trying to mess around with the XPand2 plug in since it came free with pro tools first but every single one of the presets for guitar sound exactly the same. Just a clean tone. No matter which one I click on it all sounds the same. It's just not working for some reason.

I figured it was just the Xpand2 plug in that wasn't working so I went and I bought the DC distortion plug in from the marketplace and the same thing is happening. It's clearly on but it's just coming out as a clean sound when I play. I clicked on some of the presets for it and nothing happened.

I just don't get it. Is it because my guitar isn't that great or is it my computer or do I just need to reinstall pro tools first?

I'm running on a pretty lackluster HP laptop

Windows 10
64 bit
Only 4 gigs of ram
AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.30 GHz

I'm not so great with computers so I hope these are the correct spec details.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Re: I don't understand why these aren't working

I don't use "First" but I'm guessing since you are new to Pro Tools, this is something you aren't familiar with:

Most plugins are bypassed when input enabled or recording. This is to reduce delay. If you want to hear through the plugin, put the plugin on an Aux channel. Have your guitar go into an input enabled/recording audio channel and then send the audio channel into the aux channel with the plugin. Then send the aux channel out to your speakers. That way the plugin isn't on the input enabled channel and get bypassed.

Alternatively, record your guitar first, then take it out of input enable/record and you'll hear it now go through the plugin.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:58 AM

Xpand2 is not a guitar processor plugin like DC distortion, it's a virtual instrument that you have use with MIDI like for example from an Instrument track.

To record your guitar you have to create a mono audio track and make sure input monitoring is active and the signal of the guitar is going through the track (select the input of the audio interface where you have connected the guitar on the i/o section of the track) and turn off the direct monitoring feature on your interface. Here is an example of a tipical guitar chain in the box, you can skip Little Radiator and use Eleven Lite and D-Verb instead of the P&M stuff.
https://youtu.be/mYTO5k3BQIQ
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Thank you both for replying. Been busy with work so I couldn't reply sooner. I just messed around with everything you both told me and it worked perfectly. I can hear what I'm playing with the distortion on and on playback as well. Thank you both for the help. Now I can record some of my songs I wrote with my electric in mind.