Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-15-2001, 07:01 PM

Default analog to digital to analog

hey.. i have a question about how people take stuff they record in analog and then edit in pro tools, then dump back to analog tape.

how exactly do they go about doing this? how do you edit something in pro tools and then put it back on tape and have it line up in time with the orginal music thats already on the tape?

i ask because im trying to decide what apogee converter i should buy, to see if i need a D/A or not. because if its going to cost me a lot of money on midi sync, and what not to slave a 2" reel to pro tools. i think i will just do my D/A's at a studio.

also, would there be anyway to bounce lets say 8 tracks from pro tools to a analog tape, using a apogee psx-100. bouncing 2 tracks at a time, and get them all to line up, or is that impossiable? if its possiable, what else would i need as far as sync devices? thanks
Old 09-15-2001, 07:18 PM

Default Re: analog to digital to analog

The cheezy way is to stripe a channel on your analog tape with SMPTE code and have PT slave to it.

for sync,
24-track ---> SMPTE ----> PT via USD

The pro way, is to use have a house sync and have both PT and your tape machine slave to it. But, you stripe after the _first_ transfer so that your SMPTE and your recorded tracks are based on PT's internal timing grid.

Drums ----> 24-track ----> PT

then,
PT (grided) ----->24-track + stripe SMPTE

for sync,
24-track (control + SMPTE) ===>microlynx (re-generates code, internal clock crystal used or Aardsync) =====> 256x WC (to 888) + MTC + MMC (to PT)
Old 09-15-2001, 07:50 PM

>then,
>PT (grided) ----->24-track + stripe SMPTE

So when your dumping back from pro tools to analog tape, you are also striping the tape w/ SMPTE code at the same time?

>for sync,
>24-track (control + SMPTE) ===>microlynx >(re-generates code, internal clock crystal >used or Aardsync) =====> 256x WC (to 888) + >MTC + MMC (to PT)

would the "lynx two" sync device do all of the above mentioned? could that run as the house sync device?
Old 09-15-2001, 08:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by major_thom:
So when your dumping back from pro tools to analog tape, you are also striping the tape w/ SMPTE code at the same time?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. After that, everything is slaved to the MicroLynx for subsequent transfers to and fro.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
would the "lynx two" sync device do all of the above mentioned? could that run as the house sync device?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Lynx-2 wouldn't work cause it can't output WC (1x or 256x).
Old 09-18-2001, 07:37 PM

If you have a tdeck w seperate rec & play headz Try sending the pt signal to the tape deck & then straight back to pt. You will incur a little delay but you can line it back up pretty easily. Basically using the TDeck as an insert.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:02 AM

Don't forget to set the 2" machine to "Repro" when transferring into Pro Tools. It may seem elementary, but thought it was worth mentioning.

happy transferring!

mtung