Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 08:03 AM

Default Mixing on a desk and using plugins on desk's sends

Hi!
I sometimes mix on an SSL E desk and want to use a plugin running inside protools, feeding it from a desk's send.
But I've found it hard to deal with latency (Hdx system).
I saw a deconstructing from Michael Brauer where he uses an Altiverb as reverb, sending audio from an aux at his SSL desk.
I guess that latency, in case of a reverb, really doesn't matter that much, as latency can be taken as some sort of pre delay.
But, sometimes I want to use a delay or a double, for example, and in those cases latency IS an issue. In the doubler case, it sound like an slap delay!
I also so another deconstructing where the engineer sends a vocal to Dimension D plugin from the desk without any distinguishable latency.
Which would be the correct, or right way to setup a send from a desk to a plrotools plugin and avoid latency while mixing?
TIA
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Mixing on a desk and using plugins on desk's sends

did you try turning off delay comp?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM

I do mix in an SSL 4K. What I normally do is send from the track within Pro Tools, and not from the console. Console sends go for outboard verbs and delays. Anything in the plugin word I send from inside Pro Tools. This way you don't have the delay problems. There is no way to get things sent from the console to Pro Tools without delays. Like you said,if it's a verb, ok. Anything else go bananas.... Oh, and a lot of people ask me if it sounds different because when you send from within protools the send doesn't get the eq or compressor treatment from the console. It's not a problem for me, if it doesn't sound good, I eq the verb return and voilà!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-18-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Mixing on a desk and using plugins on desk's sends

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledu View Post
But I've found it hard to deal with latency (Hdx system).

Are you using HDX-DSP plugins or are you trying to use host based plugins?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-18-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Are you using HDX-DSP plugins or are you trying to use host based plugins?
Mostly UAD stuff, some waves.... native.
There is no much Dsp plugins offering out there... The ones I usually use at least... But that's another story.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I do mix in an SSL 4K. What I normally do is send from the track within Pro Tools, and not from the console. Console sends go for outboard verbs and delays. Anything in the plugin word I send from inside Pro Tools. This way you don't have the delay problems. There is no way to get things sent from the console to Pro Tools without delays. Like you said,if it's a verb, ok. Anything else go bananas.... Oh, and a lot of people ask me if it sounds different because when you send from within protools the send doesn't get the eq or compressor treatment from the console. It's not a problem for me, if it doesn't sound good, I eq the verb return and voilà!
Yep. It is exactly what I do. But, as I use SL automation if I want to use, let's say Reaktor XT as a delay on vocals, if I send it from inside PT, then it gets PRE fader as to say.
Although the studio has nice outboard delays, I love some of my Echoboy (made over time) presets and some Reaktor XT "crazyness"...
Old 12-18-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledu View Post
Mostly UAD stuff, some waves.... native.
There is no much Dsp plugins offering out there... The ones I usually use at least... But that's another story.
This is the one thing about UAD plugins that turns me off. I have a Quad card and every plugin reports over 1100 sample of latency. While I CAN use them for mixing in the box, I CANNOT track with them(Apollo solves that, but I don't use Apollo) and working in tandem with an analog console, I think you are just out of luck, unless you can keep the UAD path in the box

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is the one thing about UAD plugins that turns me off. I have a Quad card and every plugin reports over 1100 sample of latency. While I CAN use them for mixing in the box, I CANNOT track with them(Apollo solves that, but I don't use Apollo) and working in tandem with an analog console, I think you are just out of luck, unless you can keep the UAD path in the box
I think that I have less latency than that (Octo PCIe).
But, latency is a PITA anytime you use other than AAX DSP....
Old 12-19-2016, 11:21 PM

Why not routing your SSL Master thru an PT Aux track?
OK, if you do automation on the SSL you have to turn off delay compensation otherwise you are too late.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Eller View Post
Why not routing your SSL Master thru an PT Aux track?
OK, if you do automation on the SSL you have to turn off delay compensation otherwise you are too late.
Exactly...