Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Quicktime Video Playback stuttering bug

Hello,

Is everyone here using Black magic cards to output video from Protools 10 windows? Per the Protools Window documentation the jerky quicktime video is a known bug and the only viable solution seems to be to output video via a Black magic card.

Has anyone had success playing back 24, or 23.98 HD video via standard ATI or Nvidea video cards?

Any other tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Win 7 SP1, PT 10.1.2
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Quicktime Video Playback stuttering bug

Are any windows users playing back video in protools? I am surprised that it has been almost 12 hours and noone has chimed in yet :)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM

So I take it no windows Protools users are doing audio for video post? :)
I have not seen stable quicktime video play out of ptools from a pc not using a black magic card, I know I am not the only one, since it is listed in the documentation as a "Known bug"!

:)

Throw me a bone here guys! :)
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Same problem here. Problem is on Windows 7 machine. I will try it out on my Mac and see if it has the same problem. This needs to get fixed soon.

Alex
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Too bad blackmagic is not supported in windows... I'm having great troubles playing video too in Pro Tools 10. I convert everything to PhotoJPEG. Its still not solid
Blackmagic support would be awesome!
I tried Rewiring ableton live to pro tools and play the video in ableton, but it was also choppy hehe.
Someone should just make an RTAS plugin that connects the timeline with a seperate video playback program.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Space Cabin Audio

I have not run into this at all and I have done a full feature mix as well as a few trailers. I know that it is listed as a bug but out of curiosity what video codec are you using inside your QT file? Have you made a break at the 1 hour mark if you are using H264? If using an interframe codec like H264 have you made sure that the picture editor keyed every frame?

Kris
May the music move you
Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM

I'm running windows 7 64-bit with an AMD RADEON HD 6670.
i7 930 @ 2.8 ghz with 12 gb ram. PT10 (LE)

When I get a H264 from the an editor I rerender it to Photojpeg with Sorenson squeeze. But theres no keyframing option in squeeze. Maybe that might be a solution.
I haven't had any videos longer than 1 hour. And most of my sessions start at 01:00:00:00.
What software do you recommend for rerendering the QT files?

thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Space Cabin Audio

There won't be a key frame option in the Sorrenson codec because it is an intraframe codec.

If I recieve a video that is not encoded correctly I wait until I get one that is. To many problems can arise with sync when the first layer of compression gets compressed again. IF YOU MUST change the codec, make sure that the BITC matches PT time code ruler.

I am using 2 Radeon 5770s on an i7 920/gigabyte ud3r motherboard as well as a Lenovo i7 laptop with intel graphics

Kris
May the music move you
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 AM

The program I'm using is called Sorenson Squeeze, NOT the codec sorenson video. I'm using the codec PhotoJPEG. Even re-encoding to DVpal gives me stuttering playback.
It's not really bad but still not good enough to fix sync issues with dialog and placing soundfx for certain projects...

I never get BITC in the QT files. I've borrowed a Syncheck device to check the video offset. But the playback is wobbly so its around 2-6 qtr frames.

Using 2 videocards might be a solution?
I'm looking into MTC video playback software with midi over lan. But I haven't found a program yet that also changes the video when editing and nudging clips/regions.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 AM

The program I'm using is called Sorenson Squeeze, NOT the codec sorenson video. I'm using the codec PhotoJPEG. Even re-encoding to DVpal gives me stuttering playback. I've also got Photojpegs rendered directly from color correction software.
It's not really bad but still not good enough to fix sync issues with dialog and placing soundfx for certain projects...

I never get BITC in the QT files. I've borrowed a Syncheck device to check the video offset. But the playback is wobbly so its around 2-6 qtr frames.

Using 2 videocards might be a solution?
I'm looking into MTC video playback software with midi over lan. But I haven't found a program yet that also changes the video when editing and nudging clips/regions.