Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:19 AM

Default Any easy way to sequence MIDI drums over rhythmically imperfect audio tracks?

Hello,

For a song I recently wrote, I laid down a guitar track that is the basis of the mix. The guitar performance was more about feeling than it was rhythmic precision, so some parts can speed up a little bit. This makes it hard for me to sequence the drums, since the song is speeding up at different times. I'm not really good enough to play the whole drum kit in real time on my keyboard.

I'd like to put in all the MIDI data so I can sequence some really cool drums. It's hard to do this though, since I'd have to eyeball every 8th note for the entire song!

Is there an easy way to avoid this problem? Would some sort of beat finder help?

How do you guys solve the common problem of sequencing MIDI data on top of far-from-perfect audio takes?

Joseph
Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 AM

You need to build a tempo map using Identify Beat from one of the dropdown menus (don't remember which one off hand). Go thru your tune either identifying beat one of each bar or each beat if you have the patience then you'll have a grid you can work with.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 08-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Beat Detective will give you a more accurate tempo map, than identify beat. IB will just average the tempo over the time selection. With BD you can get sub-beat accuracy for your tempo map. IB might be fine for you, but if you find that you want the PT grid to line-up more accurately with the drums use BD.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music