Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Low in my head

Hi. i need some help on beefing up an electric bass track.

I've got 6 tracks, all recorded, in various stages of mixing. however i'm having a problem getting the bass to sound right.

The tracks are radio friendly pop rock. the bass sounds pretty nice actually, the problem i'm having is trying to get an 'envelop' sound. the bass was tracked in mono, the basic tone is right there... what i need to do is to somehow make it sound more stereo.

have tried spliting the track to two and delaying one side, but it introduces some real nasty phasy, 'eardrums being sucked out head' effect. The usual trick of adding some chorus sounds better, but not really what i'm looking for.

am trying to make the bass sound as if its coming out from both speakers, surrounding the listener. sorta like the bass on 'in my place' by coldplay.

suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

thank you!

There are no carrots in carrot cake.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Low in my head

Instead of panning the bass left and right, leave the original center and put it through a stereo delay. While finding a delay time that does not introduce much phasing make sure you listen in mono---with the right delay time the bass should just sound thicker and still "circular". Have your delay panned hard left and hard right, with the original in the center---use a slow modulation, with a depth to taste. Don't leave the send to the delay to hot, adjust it so the center is the stronger sound. If tweaked right it should sound like the bass is coming from the center and expanding outwards with every note played. Of course this might not be the sound your looking for, just thought I'd throw and idea out there. If this doesn't work and you used a fretted bass--try using a fretless bass with lighter roundwounds.

hopes this helps. good luck.

peace
dan
www.slicerecords.com
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Low in my head

just happened to be reading the DUC - the subject Low in my mind - i thought it might be something humorous... but it 's a serious question. ....cause i have been low in the head. and aspirin doesn't fix that. sometimes raising my foot a half step will re-coordinate the lows and thereby raise the cranial (head room) a few db's and then I only feel jet lagged and not quite so low in the head.... BUT IT WAS a serious question.

anyway i read your reply and wanted to say THANKS. (even though i was not the guy asking. i wish i was)

nice answer. i hope it helps the dude with the Lows in his head.. and i hope the karma of your reply multiplexes back to you.

seriously.

peace back to you.

scott