Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Cell phones by montors... read..

Just an observation, but has anyone else had there cell phones next to their monitors (speakers, not screens) and when it rings, it generates noise making a buzzing sound. It's weird, cause I actually hear this before the phone actually rings.

Is this bad for the drivers, or anything else for that matter.

Also, doesn't this make you worry about your jewels, when your cell phone is in your pocket, or on your lap while you're driving?? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2002, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Cell phones by montors... read..

Nah. I was soaked by lots of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T in the 60's. I'm beyond worrying about some RF. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, my Panasonic cell phone sets off my subwoofer with a pre-ring buzz when it replies to the cell tower 'hailing' signal, too.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:00 AM

You sure that isn't a cordless phone instead of cell phone. My cordless doesn't ring untill after there is activity from the other phones in the house. If it's the same phone line as the one going to a computer modem sometimes the noise goes through the computer to the speakers.
I put my modem on a separate line and no problems
(but it costs for two phone lines).

Sounds like Stone Knife had the real answer though.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:21 AM

no im talking about a cell phone, it's just picking up the signal coming in, before the phone actually has a chance to ring.

Stone, I agree with you, the FCC (or whatever) has obvisouly made sure to do everything to make them safe, but if you read the thousand word little document that comes with cell phones, they straight up say that although tests havent shown to have damage, they don't promise that it cant' do damage. they can only tell you what tests have shown, and how long have cell phones been around, 10 years max maybe. well obvisouly they can only have been testing these on subjects for however long they've been around.
So if it takes 20 years for this type of frequency to be harmful, then i guess we'll know in about 10 more years.

Just a thought.

so anyone know for sure if this can harm any equpiment.

Also...
what exactly does smoke (cigarette) do to equipment. When I see stuff for sale, especially monitors, people seem to boast of "used in non-smoking studio"
this makes me think it must be harming it.
I was precautious and told my friend not to smoke in the room where my stuff is (it's at his house for the summer), but just was wondering if I really have a reason for making him not do this.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:32 AM

We had a lively little discussion on the smoking in the studio topic last winter!
Have you ever seen the inside of a smoker's car's windows? That lovely yellow-blue film? That stuff penetrates into your pots, faders, and switch contacts, too.

Some people think it's an OK trade-off to prevent offending clients to allow it.

I've had my aforementioned Panasonic cell (which boasts highest allowable transmit wattage permitted in the US) clipped to the equipment rack for some time now, and haven't seen any induced problems. Most good gear seems to be well shielded enough from common RF to get away with it.

PS The owners manual with this phone does suggest using a belt clip and headset to keep the phone away from one's head during long conversations from 'fringe' areas (where the phone's output would self-adjust to maximum.)
Old 08-12-2002, 09:42 AM

yeh ive noticed that little 'tip' they give you. Sounds like they are trying to save there arse. If it was absolutely completely safe, there would be no need to take that precaution.

Yeh i figured smoking obviously isnt going to be good for your equipment, so that's why I prevented people from smoking near my stuff.
i just didnt really have a reason to tell him why not.. heh
now i do
Old 08-12-2002, 04:27 PM

The worst thing is if you are big enough arse like me to leave your Mobile phone (cell in USA) in your pocket whilst playing a gig and it rings. The magnets in my Mesa are pretty powerful and they will amplify that ringing far and beyond any mix. I have only done it once and I'm sure I looked like a complete cheesedick! Just as well I had the good sense to punch in Sweet Child 'o' mine as the ringing tone!

BTW It's the magnets in your speakers that pick up the frequency. You prolly already knew that but just in case [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2002, 05:30 PM

i dont think its the magnets. probably the input stage of the preamp. the part of the ckt that has the lowest amount of voltage will be the most likely to receive rfi.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:32 PM

besides, the magnets dont do anythinbg besides create a permanent magnetic field in which the voicecoil's induced magnetic field will either oppose or attract to it.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:36 PM

This will still happen in speakers with out a preamp anywhere down the line though. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

And Guitar pick ups will pick up the frequencies as well. You can dial in a radio station. The fix is a magnetic strip on your pick guard or some aluminium foil.