Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Will there be an Avid S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Some random thoughts:
1-have you seen the price for Avid's screens for the S4/S6? Tablets or iPads look like a bargain
2-Refurbed iPads can be had for $150 or less(the iPad Pro is the "expensive" route)
3-I like the idea of a DOCK with an S1 on each side
Hi Dave,

1. What I was referring to was the technology not the price, my point being that the technology in displays advances every year but we don’t see this in pro audio so how much would have a 3 year old built in display really matter.

2. I will bear that in mind :)

3. You know if the S1 had LED metering next to the faders like the S3 it would be perfect IMO
Old 09-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Agree about the faders having LED metering but everything added is a big redesign and price bump even though we speculate. I have a new Mic holder we have patented and have ordered the first 300 units and they are revolutionary but every detail added onto these units is very expensive due to tooling and reworking this and that and patent changes so I dont think these ideas will come to fruition on the S1 atleast but maybe a updated mk2 in the future.

I will post some shots of this extremely cool mic holder which is built for all mics, we tested with U47 FET which i huge and small AKG penn mics so it is gonna be very interesting and exciting to hear your thoughts. We also have a add-onn so you can hang the mic arm from a cieling for a small booth or for overheads so you dont need mic stands to trip over and bump by accident on that super once in a blue moon take and this will be something really fantastic.

Yes these will be a bit pricey until we get the larger manufacturor of mics onboard but I can promise well worth the cost as you can litterary drive over the holder with a car !!!! I did that to try with my Range Rover V8 2019 which is 3-4 tonnes and not a ding. Only some small scrapes of course but the holder was not damaged what so ever.

Coming soon

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Agree about the faders having LED metering but everything added is a big redesign and price bump even though we speculate. I have a new Mic holder we have patented and have ordered the first 300 units and they are revolutionary but every detail added onto these units is very expensive due to tooling and reworking this and that and patent changes so I dont think these ideas will come to fruition on the S1 atleast but maybe a updated mk2 in the future.

I will post some shots of this extremely cool mic holder which is built for all mics, we tested with U47 FET which i huge and small AKG penn mics so it is gonna be very interesting and exciting to hear your thoughts. We also have a add-onn so you can hang the mic arm from a cieling for a small booth or for overheads so you dont need mic stands to trip over and bump by accident on that super once in a blue moon take and this will be something really fantastic.

Yes these will be a bit pricey until we get the larger manufacturor of mics onboard but I can promise well worth the cost as you can litterary drive over the holder with a car !!!! I did that to try with my Range Rover V8 2019 which is 3-4 tonnes and not a ding. Only some small scrapes of course but the holder was not damaged what so ever.

Coming soon
This sounds interesting, it definitely has legs pardon the pun
I have a quick question, does the add on bar allow for two overheads to be mounted on the same stand?
If so could this also be flipped and rotated to allow for mounting a near and far mic on the same stand for dubbing and ADR?

Last edited by Digi_User.; 09-05-2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 09-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Avid

I just wanted to throw this out from a manufacturers position. The Artist Mix sold 10:1 against the Artist Control. Now with the Dock and S1 that ratio for a 4 fader unit would be even lower, so with the development cost and sustaining cost over 10 years its really not a viable product to make and would mean less resources for the ones we currently have. I get the use case but its such a small market compared to 1 or 8 faders.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_User. View Post
This sounds interesting, it definitely has legs pardon the pun
I have a quick question, does the add on bar allow for two overheads to be mounted on the same stand?
Thanks

Sorry for the off topic here as I was just trying to make some points regarding tooling etc so I will start a new thread with photos after the weekend.

And to Digi_User thats affirmative You can do that and more. You will see as soon as I post the photos and info.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I just wanted to throw this out from a manufacturers position. The Artist Mix sold 10:1 against the Artist Control. Now with the Dock and S1 that ratio for a 4 fader unit would be even lower, so with the development cost and sustaining cost over 10 years its really not a viable product to make and would mean less resources for the ones we currently have. I get the use case but its such a small market compared to 1 or 8 faders.
This all does makes sense and you all have me thinking now.
I am curious about what comes next though, with the advent of technology like AR, VR and brain to computer interfaces just around the corner I wonder if these will be the last physical mixers we see?
I imagine soon one could just put on a VR headset and some VR gloves with built in haptics and have a console as big or small as you want anywhere you want.

I guess that would be the most flexible workflow ever, customised by thought where you can have the feel of faders or actually shape the waveforms like moulding clay in your hands.

Probably be a little hard to explain to artists and clients what’s going though.
All they would see is an engineer rubbing an empty table , gotta keep that wow factor somehow...
Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM

OMG. We're forgetting our history. The 4-fader Dock was released years ago. It was incredibly expensive. I've never seen one in the wild. I suspect there may be about twenty of them out there. Euphonix MC Pro.

Eddie probably knows exactly how many actually do exist.

P.S. physical mixers will be around a for long, long time to come...
Old 09-05-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
OMG. We're forgetting our history. The 4-fader Dock was released years ago. It was incredibly expensive. I've never seen one in the wild. I suspect there may be about twenty of them out there. Euphonix MC Pro.

Eddie probably knows exactly how many actually do exist.

P.S. physical mixers will be around a for long, long time to come...
With a jog wheel and a trackball, I think I am in love!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_User. View Post
With a jog wheel and a trackball, I think I am in love!
There's one for sale on here right now.

Edit: In fact two:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404227
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405074

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock

Last edited by Meads; 09-06-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Avid

The MCPro and S5MC shipped about 400 systems I think. The Pro was $25000 MSRP ! But used very expensive components. It was also the first EUCON surface so took a lot of software development.

Be careful of used units as parts are non existent and the older ones are prone to fail now.

This unit was my first job at Euphonix too!