Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Default MBox Pro 3 appears to have died. Won't power on anymore.

Okay, here's what happened:

I was about to open PT earlier today and get some work done. But I noticed that the MBox appeared to have been powered off. So I fumbled for the switch at the back, but was surprised to find that it was already on. Thinking that it must be the power supply (as it sometimes is), I ambled over to the power socket and checked everything. Everything seemed fine. Even the green LED on the power supply was lit. I pushed the power jack as far in as I could. Nothing happened. Weird. Shrugging, I switched the interface off and back on again. Now, I'm not sure if it was right then or a few minutes later, but sometime after that I was alarmed to see all four meters at red. Not climbing up and back down again, mind you, like when you switch it on, but staying at red as if all four of my inputs were constantly recieving incredibly hot signals. Worried, I immediately switched it off and turned it on again.
But alas, it seemed that I had already seen it turn on for the last time. Never saw that blue light again. Checked all connections, power cord, every possible thing - but no joy. Interface was dead as a Christmas turkey.

Is there a precedent for this kind of thing? I searched the forums to the best of my ability, but didn't find anything similar. I'm obviously going to register and contact Avid support, but I wanted to gather some info on what could have possibly gone wrong. I mean, what could have possible gone wrong inside? Is there...like...a fuse inside or something? I'm sure it is not the power cord. For one, the LED on it is lit. Second, it works with my keyboard, just tested it.

I tried turning the interface on a couple of times, giving it rests from half an hour to up to two hours. No luck. It's now turned off and unplugged and will remain so until I am instructed to do otherwise.

So...does anyone have any ideas? Troubleshooting suggestions, speculation, consolation, all welcome.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text, but the sticky said to be as detailed as possible. Also, I hope my signature with my setup details is visible to you.

P.P.S. It appears that it is.
Mid-2010 Macbook Pro (i7, 2.66 gHz, 4 Gb RAM)
OS X 10.6.8

Peripherals:
Seagate 1Tb Backup Plus HD
D-Link USB hub->USB Keyboard, Mouse, and iLok
MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter->Samsung LCD
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Re: MBox Pro 3 appears to have died. Won't power on anymore.

Check this DIY repair note and see if it applies to you ... http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=291989

Darryl
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Edit: Double Post
OS X 10.6.8

Peripherals:

Last edited by Damallooo; 04-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Wow, that looks promising. I'm now fairly confident that it is the problem I've been having, because a) the interface has worked fine for almost two years now, without issues and b) I shook the interface like someone suggested in that thread, and I could hear something light moving around - quite possibly a wire. And since my warranty has expired and there are no authorised repair centres up to a few countries around here. So I'm going to go out on a limb and try this right now.

Thanks, Darryl. You're the man!
OS X 10.6.8

Peripherals: