Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Default Tested out a Template, now Pro Tools is ruined!

I decided to do some recording today. In the past everything has worked perfect, and I do mean perfect.

I started to create a new session, and saw the "Use Template" option. Boy, do I wish I never did this . OMFG

I loaded up a new session using one of Pro Tools 10.2's built in templates. I didn't want to use it anyways, just see what it looked like. So I closed it out, then started a totally new session -- selecting start a new blank session.

Then I recorded some drums for about an hour. I came back in to start mixing and processing them.

First odd thing I noticed, is I created a New Stereo Aux Track -- and when I went to the input section, where normally I click on Stereo Bus 1/2, it wasn't there! It now starts with these Buses in the list: Reverb, Flanger, Delay. WOW. The first Bus I can actually use is called Stereo Bus 7-8. What in the ?

Immediately I thought.. hmm that template I loaded HAD tracks called Reverb, Flanger and Delay -- but how could my session have the Buses renamed as that? I started a whole new session.

And worse: Now suddenly the beach-ball of doom (swirly rainbow ball) is coming up, and my computer is lagging bad. I barely even have any plugins open. Like Steven Slate drums -- where normally I can have, literally 6 of these loaded up no problem -- and I only have 1, and Pro Tools is sayins, "Pro Tools is dangerously low on memory" -- WOW WHAT IN THE. It's constantly lagging.

So I thought.. well maybe I should reboot. So I restarted.. then loaded up the session again -- it still did the same! Immediate lag and all the problems as before.

So I closed the session again. I thought.. well I should restart, then try loading a Blank Session again, and see if it still does this.

So I restarted my computer again, and load Pro Tools 10.2, and select create blank session ... AND IT STILL DOES IT.

Also, it changed other prefrences as well.. like the Comment box is suddenly there, and who knows what else happened.

Whatever happened, just by starting a new session with these built in templates has totally recked my Pro Tools, and is making my computer feel like a Commodore 64.

What do I do?? I need help bad.

--Thank u
Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Tested out a Template, now Pro Tools is ruined!

Look up ^^^^^ Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting! Especially read about the things we need to know to help with problems and standard troubleshooting steps.

The template is unlikely to have caused this. Take a breath and relax. You just need to take a slow calm approach to debugging what is going on.

What you probalby want to make sure you do (from the troubleshooting steps) is to delete preferences and databases and also "default the IO". Which is go the the Setup>IO dialog and one each sub-page click the "Default" button.

Darryl
Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Session overwrite I/O was probably checked
You need to make your own I/O templates and save them with name that make sense
You pick the I/O you want to when you make a new session

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig

Last edited by Craig F; 09-16-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Right now I'm replying to my own message I posted years ago.. because I cannot find the option to allow me to create/post a new thread. WOW I've never experienced anything more confusing than Avid/Pro Tools related software. Your forums won't even let me start a new thread so that I can ask a question.

thanks guys
Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenInvitations View Post
Right now I'm replying to my own message I posted years ago.. because I cannot find the option to allow me to create/post a new thread. WOW I've never experienced anything more confusing than Avid/Pro Tools related software. Your forums won't even let me start a new thread so that I can ask a question.

thanks guys
Choose the appropriate sub-forum for your question, and click New thread.
Attached Images
File Type: png New thread.png (82.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Session overwrite I/O was probably checked
You need to make your own I/O templates and save them with name that make sense
You pick the I/O you want to when you make a new session

This sounds correct. Check your I/O setting, you may need to reset them to match previous sessions.