Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Re: PCIx in PCI slots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post
From what I have gathered the p67, h67 and z68 chipsets do not support pci natively. They do so by a pci to pci-e bridge.

I tried a build with the H67 chipset and the computer would not post at all with more than 2 PCI-X cards in it.

Strange thing is the system works with just 1 core card and will boot with either the accel or process card in it. When I put all 3 in the computer just continually reboots before the post...............

There are some users I am watching closely to see if the Gigabyte GA-P65A-UD3 will work. An additional PCI-e SATA card will be needed becuase the 2nd card covers up a row of SATA headers but the board looks promising.

So far this is the only board that appears will work but is not available in the US. WTF?
The PCI HD cards have multiple PCI bus masters on them. The HD Core and Process cards have nine, each DSP is a PCI "entity". Some BIOSes don't expect to see this many PCI devices in the system, and could have bugs if they find dozens of PCI devices. Some bugs like this happened many years ago. In other words, this could be a SW (BIOS) problem and not a HW problem. Maybe.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nagy View Post
The PCI HD cards have multiple PCI bus masters on them. The HD Core and Process cards have nine, each DSP is a PCI "entity". Some BIOSes don't expect to see this many PCI devices in the system, and could have bugs if they find dozens of PCI devices. Some bugs like this happened many years ago. In other words, this could be a SW (BIOS) problem and not a HW problem. Maybe.
It would seem like we could come to some sort of conclusion of whether is a non-native pcii bus issue based on the chipset OR the BIOS version that lives on a particular motherboard OR BOTH, OR EITHER.

We just need people to report in who are having trouble installing their HD PCI cards on Sandy Bridge mother boards.

This thread is a good beginning to collect data, but we need more.

Media Man
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
It would seem like we could come to some sort of conclusion of whether is a non-native pcii bus issue based on the chipset OR the BIOS version that lives on a particular motherboard OR BOTH, OR EITHER.

We just need people to report in who are having trouble installing their HD PCI cards on Sandy Bridge mother boards.

This thread is a good beginning to collect data, but we need more.

Media Man
+1
Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM

I was getting confused on which mobo to buy after reading the suggestions that there may be a problem with newer mobos that have the PCIe to PCI bridge chip, rendering some of the PCI slots unusable for HD cards, so I thought I'd try an experiment.

I took my HD3 cards out of the G5 and put them in my old clunker office PC with a Pentium 4 and 1GB ram. And yes, the PCI-X style card fits fine into the PCI slots, with the last 1/3 of the connector hanging out n mid air.

Guess what? Windows XP and Pro Tools see all of the cards just fine. I installed PT v8.0.3 because that was the last "full install" version available to me that runs on XP, and I was able to open a 24 track session and play it back without a glitch.

So what does this mean? That my 7 years old PCI Pentium 4 "single core" 2.4gHz computer can handle PT better than a spanking new P67 Sandy Bridge mobo?

I repeat, both Windows and PT saw all three cards (HD core, and two Accel) just fine, and PT installed, launches and plays back just fine!

All theories are welcome. Still trying to decide which mobo to go with for a Sandy Bridge build.

Media Man
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM

bump
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM

I have found a Gigabyte GA-P65A-UD3 and I am thinking to pull the trigger and buying it. Someone has to try....this sandybridge and protools hd thing is killing me .
Nice price too btw...
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
I was getting confused on which mobo to buy after reading the suggestions that there may be a problem with newer mobos that have the PCIe to PCI bridge chip, rendering some of the PCI slots unusable for HD cards, so I thought I'd try an experiment.

I took my HD3 cards out of the G5 and put them in my old clunker office PC with a Pentium 4 and 1GB ram. And yes, the PCI-X style card fits fine into the PCI slots, with the last 1/3 of the connector hanging out n mid air.

Guess what? Windows XP and Pro Tools see all of the cards just fine. I installed PT v8.0.3 because that was the last "full install" version available to me that runs on XP, and I was able to open a 24 track session and play it back without a glitch.

So what does this mean? That my 7 years old PCI Pentium 4 "single core" 2.4gHz computer can handle PT better than a spanking new P67 Sandy Bridge mobo?

I repeat, both Windows and PT saw all three cards (HD core, and two Accel) just fine, and PT installed, launches and plays back just fine!

All theories are welcome. Still trying to decide which mobo to go with for a Sandy Bridge build.

Media Man
This was the beauty of HD! Didn't need a superfast computer becuase the cards did all of the work. Now take that same computer and start loading a bunch of RTAS plugs and see what happens. My current system is fine when all things Protools are considered but newer Vsts are not running so well on my system. Reasons takes forever to load sounds. Same thing with Maschine. The new Sandybridge processors are smoken!! It takes less than a minutes for my computer to reboot and load up Protools!! Alot of that has to do with the SSD drive as well but this task took about 8 minutes with my 8 core Xeon rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorudess View Post
I have found a Gigabyte GA-P65A-UD3 and I am thinking to pull the trigger and buying it. Someone has to try....this sandybridge and protools hd thing is killing me .
Nice price too btw...
I have been looking very hard for this board! Where you find it? Gigabyte told me that they never made it and I could not find it in the US.

I sold the H67 rig and now having a hard time finding the Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3. I figure I would just go with an i7 870 and call it a day. I am going to build another Sandybridge PC but go with a i7 2600k and a motherboard that I can overclock for the B Room.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post

I have been looking very hard for this board! Where you find it? Gigabyte told me that they never made it and I could not find it in the US.

I sold the H67 rig and now having a hard time finding the Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3. I figure I would just go with an i7 870 and call it a day. I am going to build another Sandybridge PC but go with a i7 2600k and a motherboard that I can overclock for the B Room.
I am leaving de P65A (or whatever ) path...so, I am leading now to the GA-Q67. Waiting for an user test...
Plan B and C would be:

- Xeon C-202 with E3-1245 (CPU)
- i7 870

We will see....
Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 AM

Im not in to computers technically so what difference does it make with different chipsets im running the system in my signeture below. I havent a clue what chipset it is a friend of mine built this for me from the spec i took from third eyes sig. All i know is that i needed a board that had 3 pci's in a row and i didnt have to drill the heat sink or anything.

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Im not in to computers technically so what difference does it make with different chipsets im running the system in my signeture below.
I'm not a computer genius either, but the theory is that the newest Sandy Bridge motherboards with the LGA1155 CPU socket also have a PCIe to PCI bridge chip that may introduce latency, causing some Pro Tools HD cards to not be recognized by the computer.

Your motherboard uses the Intel X58 chip, which is unknown (to me) whether or not it has this theoretical latency in the PCI bus. Your motherboard also does not support the newest and faster Sandy Bridge CPU. It is also a "server" motherboard, which is much more expensive.

For those building a new computer, it makes good sense to go with the newest and fastest technology as many use their computers for other applications besides Pro Tools. Hence the gray area of the new technology. Many unanswered questions.

Media Man