Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2020, 08:27 AM

Default Replacing a Clip with a Matching Segment from a Matching Field Recorder Channel

Hi,

does anyone have a workaround for replacing several clips? As Pro Tools doesnt support that, I have to right click every single clip. I want to replace.

When I edit a film dialogue, I first edit the boom recordings on several tracks, then bounce that to a new track, which I use as guide in auto align post, then I put the lav clips on several tracks for each actor. And that last step always is a big right-click-orgy.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Replacing a Clip with a Matching Segment from a Matching Field Recorder Channel

Do I understand this correctly?

You receive an edited video from the video editor, then you have to sync all the dialogue channels in PT?

The sync should be done in Media Composer or Premier before it gets to you. They will hand you an AAF. I don’t delete or destructively edit any of the raw files either, so no need for a bounce during edit.

Maybe I misunderstood, but you shouldn’t be syncing lavs and boom so often
High Sierra 10.13.6
ProTools 2019.12.0

Artist mix/Control
Axiom 48
G-Raid External Drive
...Nintendo Switch
Old 12-30-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Replacing a Clip with a Matching Segment from a Matching Field Recorder Channel

Yes, I always receive an AAF, but in most cases, they edit with the boom & lav-mix, so I have to relink the lavs.
24 GB RAM
System-Volume: SSD
Audio-Volume: SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Driver 27.21.14.6089)

Steinberg UR 22 mkII (USB via Yamaha Steinberg USB AUDIO)
Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041
ProTool Ultimate 2020.12.0
Nuendo 11.0.0
Old 12-30-2020, 11:31 AM

Do yourself a favor and look into Kraken. I never use the field recorder workflow and don't need to with Kraken. It's extremely helpful and very affordable. Marc, the creator, is fantastic and is always willing to do a full walkthrough on Skype/Zoom. He's very quick with adding features, too. Not only does Kraken solve this re-linking/assembly issue for me, but I've found it ultimately powerful when needing to find alts. Think of it like Soundminer for production dialogue.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 12-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Thanks, seems to be a nice one, but it´s MAC only. I´m on Wondows.
24 GB RAM
System-Volume: SSD
Audio-Volume: SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Driver 27.21.14.6089)

Steinberg UR 22 mkII (USB via Yamaha Steinberg USB AUDIO)
Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041
ProTool Ultimate 2020.12.0
Nuendo 11.0.0
Old 12-30-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdm77 View Post
Hi,

does anyone have a workaround for replacing several clips? As Pro Tools doesnt support that, I have to right click every single clip. I want to replace.

When I edit a film dialogue, I first edit the boom recordings on several tracks, then bounce that to a new track, which I use as guide in auto align post, then I put the lav clips on several tracks for each actor. And that last step always is a big right-click-orgy.
No you can't replace several clips at once. Would be great to be able to do that!

But, you can expand the tracks at the start of your edit process with the matching field recorder options set to "Name and Sort tracks by" "Channel number". You'll get an expanded bank per AAF channel as wide as the widest channel configuration in the composition.

Or if you want to quickly cycle thru the different channels it's way quicker to use option-command (mac os) and the up and down arrows to change quickly to another channel. You don't have to have the clip highlighted, your selector cursor just needs to be at the start of the clip or inside it somewhere. Windows will be another key config but you'll find it.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 12-31-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdm77 View Post
Hi,

If I understand you correctly, what you want to do is conform your project (which, unlike what another poster said, is absolutely routine in Post Production). Rather than replacing each individual clip, what you need is a workflow to pull up every track recorded on location to sit in your project underneath all the sync on your timeline.

I'd start by posting or trawling in the Post Production section of this forum, as its such a huge subject with so many things that can - and do - go wrong. In theory Pro Tools can conform on its own, but in practice you can hit brick walls very quickly and people tend to rely on other tools like Conformalizer (mac) or EdiLoad (win/mac) to get a clean conform track prepped.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM