Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Default External Clock Getting Defaulted To Internal in PT9?

I know I read about this problem somewhere else and after looking for a while I though I'd post it and hope to get an answer.

When I was on PT 6,7,8 with my Digi003, I could set my word clock to external S/PDIF and every time I opened a project in PT, it would set the word clock to external S/PDIF.

Now on PT9, every time I open a project, it resets the word clock to internal. It gets old to have to reset the word clock every time I open a project. I know someone found a way to fix this, but I can't remember the answer and can't find it in any of the forums.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Re: External Clock Getting Defaulted To Internal in PT9?

You haven't found the fix because there isn't one yet. This issue started in 8.0.4 and Avid is aware of it. Hopefully we will get a fix soon(along with a fix for a few other things too). It should only need to be reset the first time you open Pro Tools on any given system boot. Meanwhile, stick a Post-it on the bottom of your screen that reminds you to set the clock source. It only takes 6 seconds....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 AM

You're right, it only takes a few seconds, it's just sometimes I forget. When I start recording the clicks and pops remind me.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Complete annoyance and should have been a priority fix by now. I solved it in PT9 on a Win7 rig, by not using the Avid driver or hardware any longer. In my case I converted to using my Tascam dm3200 desk with their Firewire driver. 32 i/o rock solid, done and done, my 003r now on loan. Now this is not a solution for evryone but I feel pretty certain, RME, Focusrite or other third party drivers would include this external clock functionality as well. Come on Avid, it's embarassing that you havn't dealt with this kind of 101 issue by now.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
Complete annoyance and should have been a priority fix by now. I solved it in PT9 on a Win7 rig, by not using the Avid driver or hardware any longer. In my case I converted to using my Tascam dm3200 desk with their Firewire driver. 32 i/o rock solid, done and done, my 003r now on loan. Now this is not a solution for evryone but I feel pretty certain, RME, Focusrite or other third party drivers would include this external clock functionality as well. Come on Avid, it's embarassing that you havn't dealt with this kind of 101 issue by now.
completely agree!! the Avid drivers on the W7 side will chase a lotta cats away from their non-HD hardware...i include myself as i am currently lookin' at the best way to replace my 002 console. if it had HUI personality included i woulda been looong gone already!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
completely agree!! the Avid drivers on the W7 side will chase a lotta cats away from their non-HD hardware...i include myself as i am currently lookin' at the best way to replace my 002 console. if it had HUI personality included i woulda been looong gone already!!!
I do use my Dm3200 as a controller, 16 faders via usb to MacPro using 2 peripheral slots. I'm taking delivery on the Dm4800 with 24 faders per layer. Since we own 3 (yes 3), Avid 003's (1 rack and 2 cons), I believe this further qualifies my comments. On our 003 cons we stopped the upgrade cycle at 8.01 cs2 even on intel Macs. Now I do run 8.04 cs.x on my PT HD MacPro and that's a thing of beauty but the Win7 rig was ugly from 8.03 on until I pulled the 003.

Sad to see that the Digi rep for solid dependable hardware is being trashed by poor drivers and lazy admin/tech. Sorry it has to be said.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM

My 003 doesn't work right and they have been telling me that my PC isn't compatible for 2 months. They tell me it's my BIOS, my chipset, etc... I tell them I am running one of the most used and tested systems out there.

I have an 003 console right now that's functioning as an 003 rack. I've been getting along pretty well without the control surface features and I have to say I'm happy everything is running so solidly, with a few exceptions such as having to reset the clock.

Come to think of it, I was doing MIDI drumwork tonight and the clock is still set to internal.

They tell me they are fixing the driver now. I just hope that it fixes my problems. How long does it take to fix a driver?