Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Nothing is easier and as quite as a closed water cooling system. I have them in three boxes. You can get them for under $50 w/rebate at the Egg. Easy to install, small and very efficient.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM

I had a Corsair Liquid cooler spring a leak. With an HDX card right below it. I don't think I’ll be doin' that again.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I had a Corsair Liquid cooler spring a leak. With an HDX card right below it. I don't think I’ll be doin' that again.
There was an issue, especially during the opteron stuff where people was burning up there chipsets w water cooled systems. They neglected air flow to other parts that needs it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Really guys? Opteron? Was Clinton president then? or the 1st Bush?
Your comebacks again, make me want to post 50 threads of 1000's of successes with closed system water coolers... Operton? Was it a 164? Of Course it was!

A couple of kids install, incorrectly boost the vcore years ago....and that puts the Kibosh on the best, the most efficient, and the quietest CPU cooling system ever devised? Oh and that leak....

Carry on!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There was an issue, especially during the opteron stuff where people was burning up there chipsets w water cooled systems. They neglected air flow to other parts that needs it.
The newer boards seem to be better about cooling chipsets, but leaks do occur. In my testing the closed liquid coolers were within 2 degrees of the better air stuff. They are a little closer to silent though. But with a machine room...

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwrecker View Post
Really guys? Opteron? Was Clinton president then? or the 1st Bush?
Your comebacks again, make me want to post 50 threads of 1000's of successes with closed system water coolers... Operton? Was it a 164? Of Course it was!

A couple of kids install, incorrectly boost the vcore years ago....and that puts the Kibosh on the best, the most efficient, and the quietest CPU cooling system ever devised? Oh and that leak....

Carry on!
I have been running PT a long time and building my own computers on top of it. that was right after PT 7 came out if i remember correctly. these thoughts and memories come with experience, you will get there!! that computer is actually still going and runs great. Shan and I had a long sticky here on the duc for a few years based on these opteron builds. they were a beast and stable as hell. though i could heat half the place on that computer!! and no you could not really OC that machine at all, it would melt. stabilize a couple settings and that was it. also they were dual core 270 dual processor server motherboards

So by your logic, if any action or thought is proved to be the majority, then no other outcome is possible or cannot be any issues?? but then again if something is the majority and YOU have a different outcome, you still say they are wrong. lots of conclusions can be made........

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM

I can’t seem to get my new system to work with the Digi 002R. I bought a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard and an Intel core i3 – 2105 processor. I wanted to build a Hackintosh on this hardware and I was successful in getting OS10.6 to run on this along with Pro Tools 9. I have SIIG NN-E20012-S2 firewire card to connect the Digi 002R.

Everything works fine except for the dreaded “The operating system held off interrupts too long” error. Changing the hardware buffer size does no good.

I tried the firewire card and the Digi 002R on two other older PCs (Intel 945 and Intel 965 motherboards running Win XP SP3) and a Mac G5 (running Tiger) and they all work fine.

I concluded that trying to run OS10.6 might be the problem, so I loaded Win XP SP3, and I still get errors (something about a clock signal problem, but it was set to Internal) when trying to run Pro Tools with the Z68 chipset motherboard and Win XP SP3. It will run my original MBox just fine, but there seems to be some sort of incompatibility with the firewire interface and my motherboard.

I tried a couple of different graphics cards and that didn't help either. I think I tried Pro Tools 6.4,7.2,8,9 & 10 without success.

I have had firewire card problems before. I had several G5's that wouldn’t drive a Digi 002 with their built-in ports and I had to add the SIIG firewire cards, but those have always worked for me.

I have been dealing with the Digi 002 and 002R for nearly 10 years starting with G4's to G5's and Mac Pros and a couple of PCs, and this is the first time I can’t get it to work, but just on this particular motherboard.

Has anyone had any success with a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard or any Z68 motherboard with a Digi 002?

I tried getting help from Gigabyte, but they wanted me to ship the Digi 002R to Taiwan.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H View Post
I can’t seem to get my new system to work with the Digi 002R. I bought a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard and an Intel core i3 – 2105 processor. I wanted to build a Hackintosh on this hardware and I was successful in getting OS10.6 to run on this along with Pro Tools 9. I have SIIG NN-E20012-S2 firewire card to connect the Digi 002R.

Everything works fine except for the dreaded “The operating system held off interrupts too long” error. Changing the hardware buffer size does no good.

I tried the firewire card and the Digi 002R on two other older PCs (Intel 945 and Intel 965 motherboards running Win XP SP3) and a Mac G5 (running Tiger) and they all work fine.

I concluded that trying to run OS10.6 might be the problem, so I loaded Win XP SP3, and I still get errors (something about a clock signal problem, but it was set to Internal) when trying to run Pro Tools with the Z68 chipset motherboard and Win XP SP3. It will run my original MBox just fine, but there seems to be some sort of incompatibility with the firewire interface and my motherboard.

I tried a couple of different graphics cards and that didn't help either. I think I tried Pro Tools 6.4,7.2,8,9 & 10 without success.

I have had firewire card problems before. I had several G5's that wouldn’t drive a Digi 002 with their built-in ports and I had to add the SIIG firewire cards, but those have always worked for me.

I have been dealing with the Digi 002 and 002R for nearly 10 years starting with G4's to G5's and Mac Pros and a couple of PCs, and this is the first time I can’t get it to work, but just on this particular motherboard.

Has anyone had any success with a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard or any Z68 motherboard with a Digi 002?

I tried getting help from Gigabyte, but they wanted me to ship the Digi 002R to Taiwan.
Most of the i3 systems have been a little iffy.

Post a Sandra report and let's see what's up.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM

I would try all the resident FW drivers found on your system. While Avid recommends the Legacy driver(and you should try it), it doesn't work here(003 mixer). The TI Compliant driver works fine. The legacy driver turns all the 003 buttons into midi note messages and the 3rd driver(don't remember what its called) would cause the 003 to not be found at all.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM

building now. case I bought ( Lian Li PC-7B) doesn't have brackets for SSD. Any advice on mounting this thing or can I just leave it connected in the case without being mounted?