Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Default Triggering Reason adapted with Roland TD-6v??

I'm using a Roland TD-6V to trigger samples in Reason with Redrum. The problem I'm having is this:
The snare and crash are the only pads that trigger the corresponding samples. no other pad shows a signal on Redrum. They do show a midi signal, but not where i want it. When i use the same setup to trigger other virtual instruments, all the pads make a sound, but I can't figure out how to assign each pad to a corresponding sample in order to make a full kit. am i missing something obvious?

Also, i was using a Radium in the 003 midi input and everything was fine. when i put the td-6v in it's place, it too worked, but the radium won't work in the usb port? can i not use both the usb and midi ins? do i need an interface?

anything helps. thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Triggering Reason adapted with Roland TD-6v??

As I understand it, the TD-6 pad outputs are permanently assigned to specific MIDI notes.

So then it's a matter of changing the MIDI note attached to the sample in the software. Sorry, I have little experience with Reason (Adapted).

Unfortunately, one can't change the note assignments back at the TD-6.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM

That helps to know, thanks. However I still can't find out where in Reason I can change the note. Also, in Pro tools using TimeWarp, every pad triggers the synth, but again, i can't assign my choice of drums. So at least I know each pad is sending a good signal. My goal here is to have the Td 6 trigger my own custom kits using a comination of sounds from Reason, xpand! and Kontakt.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 AM

Your question is a valid one, and one I'm keen to work out too. I've been investigating e-drum kits for around 5 or so years now, and have yet to make a decision. My E-MU Proteus 2000 rack synth has 'fixed' drum kits, so I've been put off the entry level drum brains that can't tweak the note-assignment for each pad. Now that I see myself using software synths more and more, this has become less of an issue.

I've yet to explore the Structure sampler fully, however with Xpand!, as far as I can tell, those kits are fixed. Had a thought though, what happens if you tweak the octave / pitch control? Does that shift the drums up and down the piano scale? I'm not near the studio now to give it a shot. Worth a try?

How are you finding the TD6V? It may very well be the brain I get (can't justify thousands of dollars) after discovering similar units from Yamaha don't offer MIDI In. What's with that? Part of the appeal is being able to sequence the brain's in-built sounds.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 PM

I thought about changing the octave, I'll give that a shot.

I like the td-6v. alot of other kits that were more expensive, didn't really have anything extra that I really need. It's done the job, so far. Let's see how this problem works out.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:48 PM

I've made some progress! on the td-6, press Edit>Control>(enter)>Note no. then, by pressing + or -, I flip thru all the sounds on my virtual instrument.

I don't have this working in Readon Adapted yet, but I'm using Kontakt 3 and Xpand! with success!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I've made some progress! on the td-6, press Edit>Control>(enter)>Note no. then, by pressing + or -, I flip thru all the sounds on my virtual instrument.

I don't have this working in Readon Adapted yet, but I'm using Kontakt 3 and Xpand! with success!
Holy crap! I've been busting to find that feature for years on the entry level kits. Wow! That's fantastic.

Sorry, could you refresh my memory, how many 'zones' are on the TD-6 cymbals. In particular, the ride. Can one hit the bell and then the body of the ride cymbal independently? Or does one need a cymbal upgrade (and quite possibly a brain upgrade too)?

Thanks mate.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM

>>Sorry, could you refresh my memory, how many 'zones' are on the TD-6 cymbals. In particular, the ride. Can one hit the bell and then the body of the ride cymbal independently? Or does one need a cymbal upgrade (and quite possibly a brain upgrade too)?<<

There are two "zones" on the cymbals. getting the sensitivity just right is hardest on the cymabls, but it works.