Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-10-2020, 03:16 AM

Default Offline Bounce with Hardware Insert?

I recently started using a DBX 120 XP on my sub channel through a hardware insert in PT.
I've used all the plugins out there that supposedly do the same thing, but somehow the DBX box has a smoothness that the plugins don't, to me anyway.
I sometimes use offline bounce of projects for a quick 'work in progress' reference and assumed that faster than real-time bounce would not be possible with a hardware insert.

However it seems PT allows me to bounce at 2x normal speed with the DBX inserted and still get exactly the same result in the bounce as real-time.
It definitely works, I've tested several times.

How is this possible?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Offline Bounce with Hardware Insert?

Unless the dbx has some data connection to pro tools, I suspect the timing is off by a factor of 2. Like a 10ms attack is coming out as 5 or 20. (I haven't had enough coffee yet to figure out which one.) The change being in ms, though, means it doesn't make a significant difference in the sound. I'm glad to know it works, though. I'm not sure if trust it for anything but a temp output, but I already don't trust bounce to disk for final outputs, so there ya have it.

smart phone my ass
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 AM

According to the laws of physics, it really shouldn't work?!?
Are you sure you're not using a DBX Quantum?
Maybe since it's such low frequencies the change in pitch is less noticeable? I would try printing just that return both in real-time and off-line and compare the results.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:02 AM

I think I've been in lockdown too long.
I'm going for a lie down.....
Old 06-10-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I recently started using a DBX 120 XP on my sub channel through a hardware insert in PT.
I've used all the plugins out there that supposedly do the same thing, but somehow the DBX box has a smoothness that the plugins don't, to me anyway.
I agree. Same reason I have 2 Bricastis for my music tracks.

But I have Lowender hard bypassed on the same bus and I'll swap it with the DBX 120 insert for WIP faster than real-time bounces to send off for approvals. Maybe you thought of that?

Never tried it with 2X bouncing. Don't have a reasonable conjecture, let alone any actual knowledge.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I think I've been in lockdown too long.
I'm going for a lie down.....
I do that a lot these days. :)

smart phone my ass
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 PM

Whenever I have an active hardware insert mine bounces at 1X.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I agree. Same reason I have 2 Bricastis for my music tracks.

But I have Lowender hard bypassed on the same bus and I'll swap it with the DBX 120 insert for WIP faster than real-time bounces to send off for approvals. Maybe you thought of that?

Never tried it with 2X bouncing. Don't have a reasonable conjecture, let alone any actual knowledge.
How do you guys get to chose your bounce speed? Over here it's either realtime or offline (which is sometimes way slower than real-time in a large session).
Old 06-11-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
How do you guys get to chose your bounce speed?

The speed can't be chosen AFAIK Frank.
I usually get about 4x on a 'talking in rooms' type 90min feature.
It probably varies with what plugins are used, processor speed etc.

Anyhow, I A/B'd the Faster than realtime bounce and realtime going through the MXR and they're not the same.
I'm just intrigued that you get anything at all from the hardware insert track with offline bounce.
Maybe it just bypasses the insert?

I have Lowender, I'll try it again, that sounds like a plan thanks Minister.
Do you use your DBX as Sub only output, or do you ever use it across the main FX channels as well?
Old 06-11-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
How do you guys get to chose your bounce speed? Over here it's either realtime or offline (which is sometimes way slower than real-time in a large session).
Same here; can't chose.

Quote:
I have Lowender, I'll try it again, that sounds like a plan thanks Minister.
Do you use your DBX as Sub only output, or do you ever use it across the main FX channels as well?
I use it as and Aux directed only to a Sub (well, via the main FX Master LFE). I have an EQ ahead of it, 18dB/octave @120Hz. Then, I put a send on whatever FX channel needs it and automate it on or off and how much send. This includes rumble and low end impact tracks. They go to the mains, then also sent to the DBX-LFE.

For music, I use Lowender. Same deal: filtered Aux track, directed to the LFE of the MX Master and out to the LFE of the Master and to the Sub. I sometimes have to rebalance what comes out of any upmixer I am using. In Halo, and I am sure others, you can automate the amount of output to a channel, so I will often turn down the LFE in Halo if I want to add more bottom from Lowender.

I think Lowender sounds pretty good. Don't feel the need to by a 2nd DBX (but if you press me, I like the sound of the DBX a little better).

On one film I put some LFE on some DX...having read about the Baby Boom for Jabba The Hut. It was pretty effective for that voice in that film. But it is very very rare I do that.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash