Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 AM

Default Video not playing in Pro Tools

I have just upgraded to the latest version of Pro Tools and I am unable to get video to play in Pro Tools. I have tried bringing in MXF, DNxHD, and MP4 (h.264) files and none will play back in Pro Tools. The videos will play normally in Quicktime, VLC etc. With the video in the edit window I can see the video keyframes in the video track and the extracted audio plays but the video window is black. Session is set to same timecode framerate as imported video which is 25 fps. I have tried disabling and reenabling the video engine, deleting and reinstalling Pro Tools to no avail. It is the latest version Pro Tools 2020.3 and my computer is a Macbook Pro 2015 i5 processor running MacOS Mojave. When I installed Pro Tools I installed the Pro Tools dmg, the Codecs LE dmg and Codecs PE dmg and also the HD Driver dmg. Are there any other drivers or additional add-ons that I need to play video? Extremely frustrating that its not working out of the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 5.41.36 pm.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Video not playing in Pro Tools

Welcome to the club! Sorry you’re having trouble but at the same time, glad it’s not just me, and I see this is not a Windows-specific problem. At this point, mine no longer gives me the big blank black video window. It gets stuck in a loop trying to re-initialize the video engine. “Video engine encountered a problem and needs to initialize.” Except it won’t. I wish I had an answer, but I’ll sure check back in if my e-mails with tech support create any solutions. By the way, once we get past this, we still have to deal with the fact that Avid seems to have broken .omf imports.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:18 PM

I've seen this on a couple of systems now. See this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409263

It's fixed it on each system that I've seen the problem on
Old 04-28-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddydenton View Post
I have just upgraded to the latest version of Pro Tools and I am unable to get video to play in Pro Tools. I have tried bringing in MXF, DNxHD, and MP4 (h.264) files and none will play back in Pro Tools. The videos will play normally in Quicktime, VLC etc. With the video in the edit window I can see the video keyframes in the video track and the extracted audio plays but the video window is black. Session is set to same timecode framerate as imported video which is 25 fps. I have tried disabling and reenabling the video engine, deleting and reinstalling Pro Tools to no avail. It is the latest version Pro Tools 2020.3 and my computer is a Macbook Pro 2015 i5 processor running MacOS Mojave. When I installed Pro Tools I installed the Pro Tools dmg, the Codecs LE dmg and Codecs PE dmg and also the HD Driver dmg. Are there any other drivers or additional add-ons that I need to play video? Extremely frustrating that its not working out of the box.
There's a new bug in 20.3 with special characters (umlauts, French, etc.) that prevents PT from displaying the QT when there's a special character somewhere in the path name to the QT or the actual QT name. Basically anything outside the ASCII character set I think.

Has nothing to do with drivers or the installation. Just check/change the name of the QT or the folders it lives in and make sure there are no so called "foreign" (well from an English perspective of course) characters in there.

Just wanted to mention it since you're from Montreal and might have some French naming? Just rename the folders the QT lives in incl. the drive name if that's French too or move the QT to a location without such characters in the path.

I think AVID knows about it.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:01 AM

That's not a new bug, Frank. I had this issue before with PT2019. Special characters in the file path resulted in an error message that the file could not be played because of missing QT codecs. When trying to re-import the video file from that location the error message was slightly different. Very confusing but acually easy to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
There's a new bug in 20.3 with special characters (umlauts, French, etc.) that prevents PT from displaying the QT when there's a special character somewhere in the path name to the QT or the actual QT name. Basically anything outside the ASCII character set I think.

Has nothing to do with drivers or the installation. Just check/change the name of the QT or the folders it lives in and make sure there are no so called "foreign" (well from an English perspective of course) characters in there.

Just wanted to mention it since you're from Montreal and might have some French naming? Just rename the folders the QT lives in incl. the drive name if that's French too or move the QT to a location without such characters in the path.

I think AVID knows about it.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:40 PM

HI! I'm in desperation. Have to make some tweaks in my system. I've been mixing in a pretty old Protools 12.4 HD without any problems but now in my PT2020.12 Native rig I cant get the same videos that Iwas using toplay. I see the previews track but the video track is black.
I've tried to change filename just in case, tried to reencode to MXF, DNxHD, and MP4 (h.264), did the delete a file in a folder thing... everything.
I'm so .... frustrated...
Please help.
TIA.