Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-24-2020, 06:42 PM

Default Using Zoom meeting and screen sharing PT audio

I've been trying to use share audio from Pro Tools sessions during a Zoom meeting, but even after selecting "Share computer audio" the PT audio doesn't play through to other meeting attendees. Upon further research, I downloaded Soundflower and an App called LadioCast and got Logic and Garageband to play fine. What I/O am I maybe missing in PT? Logic having separate I/O device options in Preferences made it work. Can't alter the Playback Engine in Pro Tools like that though. Super new with this. Any suggestions?
Pro Tools 2018.12.0
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Using Zoom meeting and screen sharing PT audio

Buy Source-Nexus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 PM

You don’t need to buy source Nexus. Just install the free driver for it.

Once installed, create an aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup in the OS. For this aggregate device choose your interface ( make sure it’s not an avid one) and the source-nexus device. Take note of the inputs and outputs.

Launch Pro Tools and select this aggregate device as your playback engine.
Label your IO accordingly in Pro Tools and map your busses.

Send audio out of Pro Tools using a send to the Source Nexus outputs in the IO.

In Zoom, for your input device, choose Source-Nexus. The output device can be whatever you want it to be.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpriggy View Post
I've been trying to use share audio from Pro Tools sessions during a Zoom meeting, but even after selecting "Share computer audio" the PT audio doesn't play through to other meeting attendees. Upon further research, I downloaded Soundflower and an App called LadioCast and got Logic and Garageband to play fine. What I/O am I maybe missing in PT? Logic having separate I/O device options in Preferences made it work. Can't alter the Playback Engine in Pro Tools like that though. Super new with this. Any suggestions?
We just did an 8-hour spotting session for a film with 11 people and a shared PT Video screen and stereo audio direkt from PT. Worked great.
You have to set PT playback engine to system out and then in the audio prefs of the mac to the Zoom audio engine or straight in PT, can't remember.

No need for other tools.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:13 AM

if you don't need to use an interface (in particular, if you don't need to record), you can select the zoom driver for the pro tools playback engine. i used this configuration for 4 hours of classes yesterday, and it works fine. super easy to manage.

soundflower (or blackhole) plus ladiocast (or loopback) will also work, but it's likely more complex than you need. ladiocast will occasionally drop a connection, which is a minor pain. these configurations will offer more options but are not necessarily useful for you.

if you need to use your interface (for example, if recording), you can create an aggregate i/o with the zoom driver plus your interface. it's a little tricky but doable.

if you're using an HD system, source-nexus is the only solution i'm aware of.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
if you don't need to use an interface (in particular, if you don't need to record), you can select the zoom driver for the pro tools playback engine. i used this configuration for 4 hours of classes yesterday, and it works fine. super easy to manage.

soundflower (or blackhole) plus ladiocast (or loopback) will also work, but it's likely more complex than you need. ladiocast will occasionally drop a connection, which is a minor pain. these configurations will offer more options but are not necessarily useful for you.

if you need to use your interface (for example, if recording), you can create an aggregate i/o with the zoom driver plus your interface. it's a little tricky but doable.

if you're using an HD system, source-nexus is the only solution i'm aware of.
Not quiet. A cheap and reliable solution is to simply run the output of your interface into a cheap USB interface line in. Set the USB interface as the source for OBS, Skype, ZOOM, whatever, and you're free to use your main interface and Pro Tools in a normal manner.

Using a second interface is usually more reliable (and freeing) than dealing with virtual cables.

But if your interface has loopback built in, that's also an easy way to do it.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-25-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
But if your interface has loopback built in, that's also an easy way to do it.
Not too many interfaces do. Audient has a small interface that does and RME's TotalMix does too. The three apps I've tested so far are Skype, Source-Connect Now and Zoom. They are all browser based and, since I don't want to use Google's Chrome, which almost all apps recommend, I'm using Microsoft's new Edge Chromium browser, which works great, with no need for extensions.

RME's TotalMix, which came with my UFX, allows me to bring my Mic in on 1 and the far end's audio in on 3/6 through my onboard soundcard. I have a Send of my audio out 5/6 in Pro Tools and that is sent to 5/6 out on the UFX, which is looped back to 5/6. In Control Panel>Sound I have Playback as my RealTek Speakers and my Record as the UFX's 5/6, which is the "microphone". Then just set those in whatever app is open in the browser. And make sure your browser has permission to use your "microphone".

Other apps that I haven't tested, but should work the same because they too work through a browser are:

Cleanfeed, Connectionopen and ipDTL.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Not too many interfaces do. Audient has a small interface that does and RME's TotalMix does too. The three apps I've tested so far are Skype, Source-Connect Now and Zoom. They are all browser based and, since I don't want to use Google's Chrome, which almost all apps recommend, I'm using Microsoft's new Edge Chromium browser, which works great, with no need for extensions.

RME's TotalMix, which came with my UFX, allows me to bring my Mic in on 1 and the far end's audio in on 3/6 through my onboard soundcard. I have a Send of my audio out 5/6 in Pro Tools and that is sent to 5/6 out on the UFX, which is looped back to 5/6. In Control Panel>Sound I have Playback as my RealTek Speakers and my Record as the UFX's 5/6, which is the "microphone". Then just set those in whatever app is open in the browser. And make sure your browser has permission to use your "microphone".

Other apps that I haven't tested, but should work the same because they too work through a browser are:

Cleanfeed, Connectionopen and ipDTL.
Don't forget the newish PreSonus interfaces. I have an 1824c that has loopback and it's pretty awesome. The new v3 Scarletts from Focusrite also have loopback now I think. And as you mentioned the new EVOs from Audient have loopback. I have the Evo 4, but haven't got to testing the loopback function yet.

If you're on Windows a simple way is to use the free FL Studio driver. But this works best if you don't need any DAW inputs.

And there's the free Voicemeeter Potato, which I've done a full video on walking folks through it step-by-step.

But my personal preference is still using another interface or loopback.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-29-2020, 09:47 AM

After updating Zoom, playback engine shows “Zoom Audio Device” as an option in PT. Works like a charm. But also good to know about Loopback. Thanks everybody!
Pro Tools 2018.12.0
Old 04-05-2020, 11:07 AM

I'm trying to stream audio output of Pro Tools and a live mic to Zoom for teaching purposes. When I set the Zoom Audio Device as the playback engine in PT, I get told it doesn't support a samplerate of 44.1khz.

I've done these teaching streams with other DAWs before and used a CoreAudio Multi-Output device and soundflower (or Blackhole) to route audio simultaneously to my headphones (via my interface) and the stream. I'd also use LineIn to send the live mic to Soundflower so it goes out to the stream, and use the Audient software mixer to route the mic signal back to my headphones for monitoring. I don't seem to be able to do this with PT, as using the multi output device just gives me garbled audio.

Anyone running a setup like this at the moment? Would love to hear how you've reached a solution.

THank you!

Edit : Made a 48khz session and set PT to ZoomAudioDevice playback engine. Did a test meeting, but on the recording there's no audio from PT.

Edit 2 : Loopback was still operating in the background and intercepting the audio stream. Uninstalled it and it's working fine now, but the ZoomAudioDevice stuff sounds heavily limited. I was able to use the PT Aggregate Device to send audio to both my speakers and soundflower, and set the mic input in Zoom to that, and it works well if you've got original audio and stereo sound enabled. It's all very frustrating though.

Last edited by A Chapman; 04-06-2020 at 06:18 AM.