Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-08-2020, 01:28 AM

Default DAPS out to Dante VS?

Hi,

is anyone using the Dolby Atmos PS with Dante VS as the audio output? Does this work?

Thanks!

Frank.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Re: DAPS out to Dante VS?

Probably depends on what you're trying to do. Running Dolby Audio Bridge at the same time on single machine?
Here's some info, with somebody concluding below that DVS in his configuration doesn't work:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post...-workflow.html

I run everything with MADI between 2 HDX systems (one recording Atmos) and can send speaker outs on the Recording system via Dante to another room. I never tried doing this with Dante between the 2 PT systems, but clocking might indeed be an issue as pointed out in the Gearslutz thread.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 03-08-2020, 01:39 PM

Thanks Thierry,

just for monitoring. Can I set the output of the DAPS (renderer) to the DVS ? I assume yes as it's technically just another core audio "card". So PT to Atmos renderer and renderer to DVS. But I'm not sure.

No re-recording setup needed.

Thanks!

Frank.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:56 AM

I've never tried Dolby Audio Bridge with a one system setup, but AFAIK Dolby Audio Bridge becomes the Audio Engine of PT (thus making a HDX system running in native without the possibility to use dsp) and in the Dolby renderer you can assign the speaker outputs directly to the Avid hardware. I don't think in this setup it would be possible to route the speaker outs to Dante (unless somehow the signal could be picked up by something like Source Connect Nexus and then rerouted to Dante, but that would be a long shot). I reserve the right to be totally wrong here

You can contact Dolby Germany, they are very responsive. I'll send you a PM.

Greetings,
Thierry
Old 03-10-2020, 06:00 AM

Yeah, I'm on native anyway. No need for HDX. The output of the renderer can be sent to any core audio device while the input comes in from PT via the Dolby Audio Bridge. This should include the DVS since it's a core audio "card" too. But I'll try the demo.

The path should be PT -> DAPS (via Dolby audio bridge) -> Interface (DVS/Core audio) -> Speakers.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:32 PM

Just tried it and it worked, with the caveat that I am not monitoring the output of DVS as I don't have a monitoring situation that uses Dante. But, the DAPS renderer accepted Dolby Audio Bridge as input from Pro Tools (130 channels) and accepted DVS as output (64x64). I am guessing this will work fine, as long as DVS is being output into a hardware device that provides Dante system clock, which I believe is required for DVS.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:42 AM

Hi Frank,
If you haven't tested yet: This setup works fine. You set the renderer's audio driver to core and the core driver to DVS or whatever you want. HDMI is also working if you want to send to HDMI receiver.
Then you can connect PT with the renderer by the Dolby Audio Bridge.

Cheers

Guido
Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 AM

That sounds perfect, thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHelbling View Post
Hi Frank,
If you haven't tested yet: This setup works fine. You set the renderer's audio driver to core and the core driver to DVS or whatever you want. HDMI is also working if you want to send to HDMI receiver.
Then you can connect PT with the renderer by the Dolby Audio Bridge.

Cheers

Guido
What about latency, when working with picture? Is it negligible?

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2023.12
Old 03-21-2020, 05:33 AM

Hi Paulo
I haven't really worked with this setup. For working with DAPS and PT on the same machine, I have decided to use the renderer with the send and return plugin. This has the advantage, that I have all the audio channels 'in the box' in pro tools. Specially because I want to use my RTW meters and analizers in the pro tools master sum.
By sending objects by the dolby atmos bridge, pro tools is like a multitrack machine and the renderer the master instance like the multitrack recorder. Because then the renderer will give out the audio to the core to dante, I'd use a second machine to catch the dante channels and monitor the levels.
I have not found out if it's possible to run for example the RTW meters stand-alone and catch the output dante channels. As far as I know, it's not possible on the same machine.

About latency to pic: you could set a master-dalay for pic or audio to get both in sync. But I cannot find it right now, have a look in the renderers manual.

Guido