Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-27-2019, 03:20 AM

Default Error -20021

We're seeing a lot of errors -20021 in combination with automation too dense messages. After a auto too dense message occurs and you hit play the next time a -20021 (undocumented on the AVID website but according to support plugin related). After -20021 popped up the only way to get PT to play again is to close and re-open the session. I've seen thse a lot a year ago on a complex Atmos mix in combination with a crashing RMU but this is 5.1 and not even yet hit the mixing stage.
Very often this happens after writing AVID Channel-Strip automation. Needless to say that automation isn't dense at all. 99.9% is static EQs across B/Gs or dialogue with ruler-flat automation in edit-session that have not been mixed yet.

We get this on a least 6 different rigs with different session setups and different locations with no apparent thing in common with regards to plugins.

I sent a bunch of log files to support but things went quiet after a while.

Anyone having the same issue?

Thanks

Frank.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Error -20021

Yes I see this too.
It gets worse as the session gets bigger.

I keep thinning automation and that seems to help, but I can't pin down one thing that causes it.

Sometimes I feel its to do with the video engine because I'll get a video engine error followed by a 20021.
Then the timeline will not play and the only fix is a reboot.

Its annoying but it doesn't happen every day.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:02 AM

I just had another couple of these yesterday.
Automation too dense message and then straight to the crash screen.

Nobody else see them, or is it just Frank and I?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Thanks for confirming. I don't see this in connection with video engine issues. In fact I haven't had those in years.
But the pattern is always the same. Auto too dense (which it isn't) followed by the -20021 error and then game over.
Close and re-open session and it's back to normal.
Me and 4-5 other editors on our project get these. Some days with zero issues others with constant errors.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Ditto. What we've found here is this happened on mix sessions created from a template session (not .ptxt, just a simple .ptx) that has been created many years ago (PT10?). 20021 error pops up, then only solution is to restart protools, somedays more, somedays less.

We concur, possibly something related to channelstrip eq automation parameter manipulation. Import session data in a new session didn't work, so we reinstantiated all channel strips on our dialog tracks in the template and it seemed to solve the problem, in one case.

In another instance of that same 20021 error, (different room, different operator, same template) the operator said the problem remains, but didn't manifest as long as he didn't use loop playback. Not sure if he really tried reinstantiating all his eqs (more of the lazy type).

All of this happening on PT12.8.3 Native MacOS 10.12.6. Those systems handle fine all our other projects without issues, most of them heavier than the problematic template.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:05 AM

Hmmm, interesting.
I wonder if it could be template related?
I remember there were problems a few years ago that related to having to re-build templates coming from older versions of PT.
I really don't want to do that half way through a film though, nightmare!

I had 2 days in a row without any of these on the same session, very annoying that its so random.
The last one was after a weird thing were PT was still showing the wrong video track after I'd changed to another one.
Do you guys have multiple video tracks in your sessions?
Old 10-13-2019, 04:12 AM

By the way, I only have one instance of Avid channelstrip in this session and its not automated.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:04 AM

Hi there,

so since we have this happening on 5 different rigs we’ve now at least found a temporary fix. Not actually a fix but a trick that temporarily avoids having to restart till the error hits you the next time.
After the -20021 error happens select across all tracks in the area you’re working in and hit command-option-/ to flatten any automation moves in any of the lanes. (in the empty space where you can do that, or just on the track you're working on) After that PT will allow to play again. So I guess it’s automation related and explains why the error happens in certain areas of the session constantly and never in others.

Must be a certain type of automation moves as the density of automation is definitely very light so it could be a specific type or move that causes this.

Hope this helps.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 11-07-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:22 PM

I’ve been having exactly the same issue. But for me it was only happening on my laptop when I was working remotely, not on the main studio computer.

Don’t know if it’s related but when I transferred the project back to the main studio computer the video track was corrupted, it wouldn’t play back correctly on the AJA card, picture was sort of scrambled. I had to create a new session and import session data without the video to fix it. Very strange!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:00 AM

Interesting Frank.
So you're saying to delete automation on the section where the problem happens? Command Option / would overwrite the existing automation, no?

Or just on tracks where there's apparently no automation?
Not quite sure what you mean.
If I cleared automation I would just have to do it again.