Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-04-2020, 08:09 AM

Default Re: File Export Bug in 2020.3

Thanks. Yes, I'm only using AAF files to share work in progress with editor and director. Won't get into the detail, but it's less tedious for me than sharing timestamped WAV files when the project is being constantly recut as I'm exporting cues from Logic Pro X into PT and then want to send a bunch of ideas. My final deliverables as always will be on a PT session with sound team.

I tried moving file start point to frame-based boundary and unfortunately the issue still remains. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:03 AM

Yes i did check 'Enforce Avid Compatibility'
My regions were not cut on the grid and then exportetd
When I import it back into session then the regions get extended (to the next frames) . Everything is in sync.

Ale
Old 05-04-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Yes i did check 'Enforce Avid Compatibility'
My regions were not cut on the grid and then exportetd
When I import it back into session then the regions get extended (to the next frames) . Everything is in sync.

Ale
Interesting. The OP didn't actually say that the files were out of sync (and the picture were too small for me to see clearly), only that the timestamps were incorrect. Were there changes in the sync relationship between clips or tracks in the AAF? Or was the whole AAF offset by the same amount? I remember a time when there was a bug with 23.976 OMF or AAF outputs from Final Cut that caused them to be stamped as 24FPS. This would just require the whole sequence to be nudged back into the correct timeline position when importing.

I was speculating as to what would happen if a clip boundary was between frames and there were no handles. Would the clip be trimmed to the next frame edge within the clip boundaries? Would the clip be moved on a subframe level to the nearest frame edge? If the latter, that would definitely be a bug in my book.

Considering that nothing came back incorrect in your tests, I think we must assume its a bug or an issue with the OPs system or particular session.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Interesting. The OP didn't actually say that the files were out of sync (and the picture were too small for me to see clearly), only that the timestamps were incorrect
The files look like they're in sync but as I said, the imported AAF (exported from the same session) is consistently one frame later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Considering that nothing came back incorrect in your tests, I think we must assume its a bug or an issue with the OPs system or particular session.
I wouldn't assume anything. As I said in an earlier post, I'm using two different computers to test this and it's not confined to one session, but any session I open. But thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by midi sordino; 05-04-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi sordino View Post
The files look like they're in sync but as I said, the imported AAF (exported from the same session) is consistently one frame later.

I wouldn't assume anything. As I said in an earlier post, I'm using two different computers to test this and it's not confined to one session, but any session I open. But thanks for the suggestions.
Good to know that it's on multiple systems or sessions. I certainly wasn't implying that it's something you are doing wrong or is wrong with your system, sorry if it came across that way. It could be a bug related to something specific to the workflow you have with the picture department. Are you using MFX media in your Pro Tools session, or converting to WAV or AIF? There have been inconsistencies in the past with the way Pro Tools handles MFX media in sessions.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:25 PM

Thanks. Yeah, the sessions I’m checking this on are pretty empty. No plugins and only a movie file with audio imported from the movie. Then some audio tracks with stereo clips of music cues imported from Logic Pro X. I recently updated to 2020.3 and haven’t changed anything from the default settings since download. But perhaps there’s a setting somewhere that is causing this issue. Will have another look tomorrow. Cheers, M.

Last edited by midi sordino; 05-04-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:05 PM

Hello all!

I had a .Wav file that I exported (not as AAF just .wav) to an editor to do some re-cuts on a completed show. He resupplied me my mix as an Embedded AAF so that I could conform his edits.

The timestamp of the file start was off by 1 frame.
All the timestamps at each edit point were off by 1 frame.

I imported this into 2019.12, timestamps were fine.

I believe that this is an IMPORT issue not export.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
Hello all!

I had a .Wav file that I exported (not as AAF just .wav) to an editor to do some re-cuts on a completed show. He resupplied me my mix as an Embedded AAF so that I could conform his edits.

The timestamp of the file start was off by 1 frame.
All the timestamps at each edit point were off by 1 frame.

I imported this into 2019.12, timestamps were fine.

I believe that this is an IMPORT issue not export.
Thanks for chiming in. As far as I can tell, this issue - timestamp on stereo WAV file late by one frame when re-importing an AAF file into the same PT session - occurs in Pro Tools 2020.3 when exporting an AAF and checking the box 'Enforce Media Composer Compatibility'.

If I don't check this box, the re-imported timestamps on the wav files using AAF import are correct. But I want to enforce media composer compatibility, so it looks like this may be an issue when exporting an AAF file from PT using this option (which might as well be called 'Enforce Pro Tools Incompatibility')
Old 05-05-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi sordino View Post
Thanks for chiming in. As far as I can tell, this issue - timestamp on stereo WAV file late by one frame when re-importing an AAF file into the same PT session - occurs in Pro Tools 2020.3 when exporting an AAF and checking the box 'Enforce Media Composer Compatibility'.

If I don't check this box, the re-imported timestamps on the wav files using AAF import are correct. But I want to enforce media composer compatibility, so it looks like this may be an issue when exporting an AAF file from PT using this option (which might as well be called 'Enforce Pro Tools Incompatibility')
The "issue" is actually a feature to work around the fact that AVID MC can only refer to time stamps that are on the full frame grid, so in order to not move the audio in MC, PT will add additional media to fill the gap to the next full frame. The only way to avoid this is to always edit on the full frame grid.

F.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Thanks for your reply. I exported using the full frame grid (something I thought I'd already tried) and that finally sorted it. I can now send files that will match timecode stamps when imported into Media Composer & Pro Tools. Appreciate the feedback. Is it possible to also export volume automation into Media Composer or is it only clip gain?

Cheers, N.

Last edited by midi sordino; 05-05-2020 at 06:36 AM.