Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Falcon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's already installed - did it when I got the PT2019.6 reinstatement.

Well you could look at the product page here:

https://www.uvi.net/en/software/falcon.html

Look at the 'what's new' tab. Also there's an overview video up on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHlQm7tFUPc

I'm sure there's some here who have installed the one from Avid and have gone on to purchase Falcon from UVI.

Geez, I must be going blind. I actually looked at the product page but somehow never saw the "what's new" tab, just the promo video, which didn't really tell you much.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:56 AM

Wow..just watched that overview video. Falcon 2 is a sound designer's dream. I'm going to love playing with this one, being a complete geeky tweakhead!

One thing that immediately sprang to mind is whether or not you can use the Falcon FX separately. One of the features I really like about Xfer's Serum is that you not only get the VI, but also a separate FX bank that allows you to use all their FX as plugins. Some of these Falcon FX look pretty cool and would be fun to have access to just those to use as FX plugins on other tracks.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:28 AM

Is there a difference in the Avid version of Falcon and UVI one? I thought we had the full Falcon?

Old 10-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Wow..just watched that overview video. Falcon 2 is a sound designer's dream. I'm going to love playing with this one, being a complete geeky tweakhead!

One thing that immediately sprang to mind is whether or not you can use the Falcon FX separately. One of the features I really like about Xfer's Serum is that you not only get the VI, but also a separate FX bank that allows you to use all their FX as plugins. Some of these Falcon FX look pretty cool and would be fun to have access to just those to use as FX plugins on other tracks.
I forget which forum I read this but the fx that are in Falcon cannot be used outside of Falcon. However you could pull the audio into Falcon inside one of the high quality sampler engines inserted on an instrument track and have it play back through that and any effect from Falcon you wanted. But yeah - sound designers dream doesn't begin to describe what this vi can do, especially the new stuff in Falcon 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Is there a difference in the Avid version of Falcon and UVI one? I thought we had the full Falcon?
I don't know if there is a difference between the two versions other than the Avid one being aax only?. I'm guessing no one on this forum owns both the Avid version by way of the PT 2019 upgrade and later purchased the UVI one so they could use it outside of PT and when their active update plan expires.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:42 AM

The UVI free player is the same BUT the sound library is a special Avid lib which is Not the same as the Full Falcon version and AAX64 only aswell so we can only use it in PT. That IMHO is not a nice thing to do as Avid put that into paying users plans anyway so as most here use more than one DAW we can’t use Falcon kn other DAW’s where midi is great and Falcon would be the reason we would use it in our Midi DAW for example which is Live10 Suite with Push2 and then we import and mix in PT so not being able to use Falcon in Live has made us not even bothered to install. We have all the best VI anyway and they work in all DAW’s so not gonna care about F2 either.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-12-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The UVI free player is the same BUT the sound library is a special Avid lib which is Not the same as the Full Falcon version and AAX64 only aswell so we can only use it in PT. That IMHO is not a nice thing to do as Avid put that into paying users plans anyway so as most here use more than one DAW we can’t use Falcon kn other DAW’s where midi is great and Falcon would be the reason we would use it in our Midi DAW for example which is Live10 Suite with Push2 and then we import and mix in PT so not being able to use Falcon in Live has made us not even bothered to install. We have all the best VI anyway and they work in all DAW’s so not gonna care about F2 either.
I never expected Avid to offer Falcon as part of their product line while also giving away a VST version to run on a competitors DAW.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 10-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The free UVI player is NOT the same as Falcon although certain expansions that can play in the free player also can be played in Falcon witness Synsations which a lot of people got as a freebie a while back. When you call up those patches in Falcon you can do all sorts of modifications to the sounds. There is a special Avid only library that we get with the PT2019 upgrade but the question here is is the stock Falcon library that we get the same as what one would get when owning Falcon as purchased from UVI?

Falcon is written by the same people that wrote MOTU's Mach Five 3. Being I also have Digital Performer as a daw I'd spent time over on Motunation and found out that since UVI and MOTU have had a falling out leading to Mach Five becoming abandonware not all libraries that work in that program will work in Falcon but as always YMMV.

For Donald M:
If you want to see what Falcon can do with playing back audio like I mentioned about using the fx in Falcon take a look at this video for Mach Five 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJiH3rVFB8
Granted it's showing the MOTU program but keep in mind what I wrote above - same people wrote both programs. And right now the Falcon engine is cleaner than the MOTU variant. So yeah it's a workaround but at least it's a way to use Falcon's fx on audio not generated by one of Falcon's internals. Not to say it won't have a drain on cpu power but it's a way to do what you asked about.

As for me I'm going for Falcon 2 as soon as I get figured out what I've been talking about in this thread. Yeah I've got Kontakt 5 but with their staffing issues I need a stable sampler/synth. Also keep in mind that UVI is not charging people for this update that already own Falcon no matter when you purchased it. Imagine that - free lifetime upgrades?

edit for additional:
Audio Deluxe is not discounting Falcon 2 - it's still $244 when logged in and in one's shopping cart.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-12-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added AD pricing info
Old 10-13-2019, 12:47 AM

It should be very cool if we have a preferential price to buy Falcon if we are PT owners
Old 10-13-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaorum View Post
It should be very cool if we have a preferential price to buy Falcon if we are PT owners
That would be cool but UVI doesn't do crossgrades and rarely does sales for Falcon (usually only twice a year). Resellers like Audio Deluxe also aren't able to discount like they can for other developers. UVI is pretty severe on their pricing discount-wise but then again it's worth it considering the stability and functionality of the program. Imagine a whole number update and current owners get it for free no matter how long you've owned a license for the program. That's a developer I can get behind.

I really want to hear from those who've gone on and purchased Falcon when they already had installed the one we get from Avid with the purchase of PT 2019. Buehler? Buehler?

Has anybody had F2 show up in their Avid account?

QAPLA!
Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For Donald M:
If you want to see what Falcon can do with playing back audio like I mentioned about using the fx in Falcon take a look at this video for Mach Five 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJiH3rVFB8
Granted it's showing the MOTU program but keep in mind what I wrote above - same people wrote both programs. And right now the Falcon engine is cleaner than the MOTU variant. So yeah it's a workaround but at least it's a way to use Falcon's fx on audio not generated by one of Falcon's internals. Not to say it won't have a drain on cpu power but it's a way to do what you asked about.

As for me I'm going for Falcon 2 as soon as I get figured out what I've been talking about in this thread. Yeah I've got Kontakt 5 but with their staffing issues I need a stable sampler/synth. Also keep in mind that UVI is not charging people for this update that already own Falcon no matter when you purchased it. Imagine that - free lifetime upgrades?

edit for additional:
Audio Deluxe is not discounting Falcon 2 - it's still $244 when logged in and in one's shopping cart.

Thanks for all the extra info Jack. Very helpful to know. Yeah, I figured importing an audio track as a sample to use Falcon's fx on a track was always an option. It'd just be nice to be able to input the audio directly to just use the FX when you want/need them. As I mentioned before, with Serum, you get the FX rack as a separate plugin. With Transfuser, you can instantiate it as a plugin on an audio track and then use their "Audio" module to run the sound through Transfuser and use whatever fx you want. I've used that a bit to add Transfuser's beatcutter effect, along with some other things.

As you know, some VI's out there really do have some nice sounding creative fx. It'd be nice if more allowed access to the fx like Serum or Transfuser. Omnisphere is another one with great fx, but no way to access apart from inside Omni.

Oh well...one can dream

Closed Thread