Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Not working with OSX Mavericks

I have a late 2009 Core2Duo imac here at my house and i also can confirm i have no audio output with my MBOX 3. I am running Mavericks with PT 10.3.7 all the latest drivers and still no output.

Snarf hit the nail on the head its not like these Core2Duo machines are so ancient they aren't being used anymore. Mine works superb for all the things i need to do at home in regards to audio recording and anything else for that matter.
AVID really needs to come up with a driver to work with these machines.
This is just silly that we cannot run pro tools 10 with mavericks on machines that are still perfectly fine.

Another question i have is IF i upgrade to PT 11 will i still have no output with my Mbox 3 on this Core2Duo machine or will it work because the PT 11 drivers are compatible with the late 2009 Core2Duo imac.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:54 PM

One of my computers at the office is an early 2008 iMac (iMac8,1 Intel Core 2 Duo) which is similar to the suspected models mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd check it out.

I installed Mavericks 10.9 on a clean drive, then Pro Tools 11.1.2 and Mbox Mini driver 1.2. Selected the Mbox Mini as my Playback Engine (PT) and for Sound Playback (AMS) and I can play audio from Pro Tools, iTunes, etc. Haven't tested for performance, but audio I/O seems to be working fine. Will try earlier Drivers/PT next.

Have you installed any other Mbox drivers? (Please be specific with version #s.)

Go to System Preferences and click Avid Mbox Mini...
1) What is the Package version?
2) What is the Firmware version?

In Pro Tools, what is selected for Setup > Playback Engine?

In Audio MIDI Setup, which device has Use This Device For Sound Playback?

Last edited by jeffro; 01-24-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Corrected version #s.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Jeffro,
Pro tools 11 seems to be working fine for people with older Core2Duo macs from what i have seen the last couple days. So that kind of answers my last question about if PT 11 will work on my old imac if i upgrade to 11 however it still seems crazy that people on PT 10 cannot use Core2Duo machines.
Seems like they should come out with a driver for PT 10 to work with mavericks or Core2Duo machines etc.

i am still curious to hear from others using PT11 with Core2Duo machines for further confirmation before i spend the money to upgrade yet again.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:18 PM

I was able to reproduce this on 1 of 3 Core 2 Duo Macs I have access to.

Details I've pulled from this thread (updated 2/12):

No Audio From Pro Tools + Avid USB Interface
No Audio From 3P app + Avid USB Interface
Audio Working Properly
Please reply to this thread with complete details - clarify the ?'s if possible.

This issue has been added to the Knowledge Base here (you can subscribe to this article to be notified when it is updated).
Old 01-24-2014, 02:33 PM

I have tried the latest drivers 1.2 and all others prior. Also i am using an MBOX 3rd gen.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Just for reference i can also use my MBOX with all other players such as quicktime, VLZ etc etc. This has to be just an driver fix i would imagine.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Hi there,

I was running a bit behind in updates and yesterday updated to the 11.1.2 Pro Tools and the Mbox 1.2 drivers and found that sound was working fine from my Mbox with Pro Tools once I got the Hardware settings right.

In doing this upgrade I ignored the "uninstall drivers" error that came up when I was installing the updated Mbox driver. Maybe this was foolish..

Today I came back to my computer after a scheduled overnight restart and found that in actual fact sound is no longer working via the Mbox for anything other than Pro Tools [not Final Cut Pro, AVID Media Composer 7.0.3, Quicktime, itunes, Spotify etc...) - I think this may have been the case yesterday, I just didn't notice as I was only using PT.

I realise that this must be to do with the recent driver update and Mavericks 10.9.1 as I didn't have this problem before and I have been running Mavericks 10.9 (not sure when it updated to 10.9.1 actually) since the start of the year and until yesterday I was having no issue with my Mbox 3 and audio output. The reason for upgrading Pro Tools and the Mbox was because of another unrelated issue....

Anyway - just wanted to add to the information about this driver issue - if anyone has any idea how I can get sound back to my other programs via Mbox that would be great. A rollback is not possible as the upgrade to Mavericks was to solve an issue I was having with Media Composer.

Cheers,
Amber

OSX 10.9.1 / iMac / 27in / Mid 2010
2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
PT 11.1.2
Mbox 3 - driver 1.2
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Default AVID what is the problem?

Apple has come out with many updates in the many years I have owned my Fast Track Pro and the driver updates came out fast and were good but now with OSX 10.9 your drivers are not working and you guys are asking us what computer/cpu/memory..ect. It's been over 2 months come on all ready you need to take care of your customers please!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Default AVID Please confirm or deny this and HELP ME OUT

AVID
Hello, I am have been posting in another post and really have not got an answer. i am really trying not to complain just looking for answers.

1. Does your new Driver 1.2 work with An older Late 2009 Model Imac with a Core2Duo machine and Mavericks Installed. I am on Pro tools 10.3.7. I have tried everything and have not got any sound, however my mbox works with all my other programs except pro tools.

2. if not.... if i upgrade to PT11 will i have sound with my mbox on my old Core2Duo imac.

3. Will you make a driver that works with Pro tools 10 and older macs and mavericks?

I would like an answer to this ASAP.

I am far from new to pro tools, I have had a many rigs from HD to Mbox, I have been using pro tools since before it was actually pro tools. So i know how to configure my hardware without any issues. Right now I have a HD accell system at my studio and Mbox at home and I need my Mbox to work from home for editing when i am outside of my studio.

To recap
Pro tools 10.3.7
Drivers 1.2
Late 2009 Core2Duo Imac
OSX 10.9.1
Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Default Re: AVID Please confirm or deny this and HELP ME OUT

Which Mbox do you have? Avid have been working on sorting out the Mavericks drivers issues but have not been able to recreate the problem. I dont have any specific update other than it is being looked into. It seems very hit or miss as far as problems vs success with Mavericks, although users with Core2 based macs do seem to be having more problems.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM