Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-16-2018, 06:36 AM

Default East West Spaces II Released

East West Quantum Leap have released Spaces II their convolution reverb plugin. It comes in VST, AU and AAX formats. They've added a whole bunch of new IR's from several nice spaces across the globe as well as adding several other new features such as better EQ and tail control etc and some visuals of the spaces being featured. In all, there's over 1,000 reverb presets, all editable. For those with the full subscription, it comes with that.

They also took some care in creating instrument specific IR's.
Quote:
A unique feature of SPACES II is the instrument specific reverbs that have been designed to take the guesswork out of instrument reverb selection. Only the SoCal hall was recorded using this method in SPACES I and it was so popular six locations with instrument specific reverbs are now included in SPACES II. How was this done? An ATC speaker array was created to emulate the sound projection patterns of each instrument or section. For orchestral halls, a recording was taken in the exact position an instrument would be on stage. A French horn fires its sound backwards against the back wall, therefore, an impulse for a French horn was created by firing the sweep tones from the middle to left rear of the stage, backwards and slightly towards the floor. 1st violin section recordings were taken by firing a series of speakers at an angle toward the ceiling, just like a real section, with a fifth speaker firing towards the floor to emulate the body of the violins. A choir shoots straight out from the back, a celeste or harp is usually way over to the side and a lot of that sound goes up giving you early reflections. Most soundtrack composers that use SPACES I consider the instrument specific reverbs from the SoCal Hall to be ground breaking. Set up a mixing template with unique reverb for the strings, brass, winds, percussion and choir and something magical happens. In SPACES II five more locations were added using this technique for a total of six. There are 324 instrument specific reverbs in SPACES II compared to 48 in SPACES I for a total of 372. It took a massive effort, but the results speak for themselves.
I've only had it a day, but it sounds terrific so far. I used Spaces I quite a bit, especially on vocals and orchestral type instruments. With the new IRs and features on Spaces II, I'll be using it even more. To me it just sounds silky!

Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 PM

Default Re: East West Spaces II Released

I wonder if they ever put the ir from Seattle's Benaroya concert hall in there? That's where the samples for the original EWQLSO sample library were recorded. Doug said they had it but when asked if it would ever be released he would never commit to doing so.

QAPLA!
Old 08-16-2018, 06:44 PM

I like both - and have both. Haven’t had a chance to do a ton with II but frankly what I hear so far is REALLY nice and very natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
I like both - and have both. Haven’t had a chance to do a ton with II but frankly what I hear so far is REALLY nice and very natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My reaction as well.