Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Re: PIA SSL strips & ducking

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
As an overall strip I'm liking the SSL E (black knob) over the G strip either knob color. To my tastes it's a more rounded sound especially on bass and piano. For synths the G strip is my go-to in either knob color. I'm just getting into the new strips so it's a learn as I go thing. Something I've found is when trying to match eq points across strips on different tracks. The reported knob value does not necessarily correspond to the actual value affected.

I don't know if you've seen the massive thread over on GS or not but there seems to be a calibration mismatch between the meters.

An issue I'm having (and this goes back to the original bx strips (E & G) is that from time to time on OSX when using the 'return' key for any operation like going back to the beginning of a PT session the state of switches and knobs changes. I submitted a tech support ticket and they've confirmed the problem. When a fix will come - who knows. It happened to the original bx E (which I have) and both of the SSL branded strips.
Thanks for your time and insight. I'll keep an eye out regarding meters and that the plugin changes state. I assume this is only with the plugin window open, yes?

I'm never on GS, but I'll take a peek. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Thanks for your time and insight. I'll keep an eye out regarding meters and that the plugin changes state. I assume this is only with the plugin window open, yes?

I'm never on GS, but I'll take a peek. Thanks again.
I believe it is only with the plugin gui open but can't verify that. What does seem to mitigate the problem is to change focus from the plugin gui to something else.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Thanks Jack, I appreciate it. I've send you an email.

Re-installing didn't seem to do the trick. Oddly, when I load the SSL E as a VST in BlueCat Patchwork the vst presets are there.

Could be a Hackintosh glitch I suppose...

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 08-04-2018, 01:21 PM

By the way, I can't reproduce the plug-in 'stealing focus', either with the old E & G or the new E.

Even with the plug-in window open the return key works normal at my end.

T

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 08-04-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
Thanks Jack, I appreciate it. I've send you an email.

Re-installing didn't seem to do the trick. Oddly, when I load the SSL E as a VST in BlueCat Patchwork the vst presets are there.

Could be a Hackintosh glitch I suppose...

T
Email sent with the folders of files you need. Different path for the vst and au presets at least for a Mac.
Quote:
By the way, I can't reproduce the plug-in 'stealing focus', either with the old E & G or the new E.

Even with the plug-in window open the return key works normal at my end.

T
This might well be a true Mac issue. When I reported it to PA's tech support I told them I was running on OSX 10.10.5 and it happened in PT, DP, Patchwork. It's not that it steals focus but that it reacts to the 'return' key being pressed. To explain: say I set some buttons on the PA strips. Leave the plugin gui open and I go to manually enter a value for say a send or output in PT and hit the 'return' key to have PT accept the value the controls I changed in the strip will change to the state they were in previously. If I change focus to another plugin or such the 'return' key won't affect the strip controls.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Email sent with the folders of files you need.
Thanks a bunch Jack, works a treat.

Quote:
...and I go to manually enter a value for say a send or output in PT...
I confess I don't even know how to do that... However, when I edit a track name or a marker -plug in window open- and hit 'Enter' the plug in settings are not affected in the way you describe.

For the record, this is on 10.10.5 too. PT 12.8.1

T

Old 08-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch Jack, works a treat.

I confess I don't even know how to do that... However, when I edit a track name or a marker -plug in window open- and hit 'Enter' the plug in settings are not affected in the way you describe.

For the record, this is on 10.10.5 too. PT 12.8.1

T
The thing is with the changes is it's not consistent; after a couple of times happening it doesn't happen again until one makes other changes to the strip.

Try this:
New session. Create an aux track and put the SSL strip of choice on an insert. Make a change from the default setting like selecting the G compressor if you have the E strip open or vice versa. Change the track name and hit enter to accept the change. Does the change you made go back to the default setting? Leave the plugin gui open. Should happen whichever control you change (even the knobs/pots).

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Try this:
New session. Create an aux track and put the SSL strip of choice on an insert. Make a change from the default setting like selecting the G compressor if you have the E strip open or vice versa. Change the track name and hit enter to accept the change. Does the change you made go back to the default setting? Leave the plugin gui open. Should happen whichever control you change (even the knobs/pots).
Okay. I see. Well, that's basically what I tried earlier; editing a track name and a marker. It did not affect the changed plug-in setting(s).

To be absolutely thorough I tried the exact test scenario you described above. Same result; the plug-in settings are not affected.

I've been using the old Console E for a year now and I have never encountered the 'glitch' you described.

I assume you've already tried the ol' Thrashing Of Prefs thing?

T

Old 08-05-2018, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Okay. I see. Well, that's basically what I tried earlier; editing a track name and a marker. It did not affect the changed plug-in setting(s).

To be absolutely thorough I tried the exact test scenario you described above. Same result; the plug-in settings are not affected.

I've been using the old Console E for a year now and I have never encountered the 'glitch' you described.

I assume you've already tried the ol' Thrashing Of Prefs thing?

T
Trashing the prefs won't help because it happens not just in PT but Digital Performer and Blue Cat Patchwork in standalone so it's across hosts. I did trash databases though - no help. After mentioning this over on GS I heard from a couple of people that it's also happening with a couple other plugins from Plugin Alliance. And those people also had the same issue I'm having with the E & G strips. Mac people all.

If you're doing this on your Hack can you try it on your real Mac?

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:

If you're doing this on your Hack can you try it on your real Mac?
I'm not sure, 10.8.5 is not supported by PIA. I won't be back at that machine for another four weeks anyway. Vacation...

T