Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-21-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Amplitube Chokes Out - Solution?

Hi all...

I just got my 002 three weeks ago, and am still getting around it. But, the biggest technical problem I have is with the Amplitube Plug-In that came with it.

If I insert it in more than one channel, it jams up Pro Tools, and I have to close out the session. In one instance, it would not let me open that session until I re-booted and removed them as inserts. Then the session would open again.

An error message pops up, but I can't recall it. Someting about not enough CPU power available (I have it set to 85%). But, my CPU usage meter isn't even a third of the way towards the red.

Any help? And please pardon my newbie vagueness. Still learning my way around the terms that apply to both the 002 and LE.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 05-21-2003, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Amplitube Chokes Out - Solution?

Check your hardware buffer and bump it up to at least 512 if it's lower and then try. This of course causes a lot of latency which sucks for guitar playing but if you can play it at a high buffer setting then at least you know it's resource related.

I used to crash Amplitube all the time on my Athlon 950 system with 256 MB RAM. I was lucky to be able to record a couple minutes with the buffer set to 256 and it wouldn't even come close to working at 128. Now I've got an Athlon 2.4 with 1024 MB RAM and I can load Amplitiube on as many tracks as I want and record at the lowest buffer setting.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:06 AM

Amplitube is a pig for ram. You may need more. How much do you have? and what kind? do you have other ram hog plugins going at the same time...ie:verbs or anything like that? GoodLuck!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the help, and here's some answers to your questions:

I have a half gig of RAM with a brand new Penitum IV, and when Amplitube locked up, I was not recording with it.

After putting two (direct) scratch guitar tracks down, I put Amplitube in after the fact to see if the guitar takes were keepers. No other reverbs, eq's, nothing. Just those 2 gtrs, a DI bass track and a perc. loop.

And it locked.

I'll check the hardware buffer, too.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:23 AM

This is a known bug in amplitube. No one has been able to cure it. If your system freaks out on any new instance of amplitube, you've got the bug I speak of. I repeat, no one has been able to cure it! I've got it, and am just waiting for the new update to come out. It stinks though, this plug sounds great!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:32 AM

In general, I'm pretty disappointed with the IK Multimedia products. I own both AmpliTube and SampleTank, and they both are CPU/memory hogs. I think they're nice and flashy, and certainly it looks like IK is a better marketing than engineering company so far. Just my opinion, but it very much seems like the design of their products was meant to be used as one instance only per session, especially SampleTank. This is retarded...
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 05-22-2003, 05:55 AM

Huh, you should definitely not be having those problems with those hardware specs Big Mick. I've been running sesions with both Amplitube and Sampletank LE pretty smoothly. Amplitube can still be buggy but shouldn't be as bad as you've described.

Have you loaded the latest update? (v 1.1.1 I believe).
Old 05-22-2003, 06:30 AM

Assuming Amplitube works fine and everything, could it replace a POD?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:59 AM

Hello everyone, First off I would highly recommend logging into the personal user area and downloading the latest versions of your software. The digi 002 bundle has been out a long time so there has been updates that might fix your problems.

Second: AT to me, doesn't take a lot of cpu, but you have to remember the tremdous amount of processing it having to do, preamp, eq, power, cabinet and fx modeling...actually it's very reasonable on CPU considering those things. It takes a lot of math to be able to do this.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:07 AM

I find it very difficult to get the kind of tone and sound I want in a slightly distorted guitar on a POD. Amplitube rocks at it. For heavy stuff, I think either will do just fine. As for the effects, I really like the POD's effects more than Amplitubes. In the end, they are two very complimentary tools. In my case each makes up for the other's lacking.