Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Timecode and minutes:seconds not matching up

I’m having an issue outputting final mix files to be matched to picture.

Since I work on promos and commercials I work in Timecode view, using timecode in my Main Counter. If I select a 30 second region in this view and change the Main Counter to Min.Secs view, my region is suddenly :30.030, which my client registers as 1 frame too long. This is the case if the session is set to any timecode type except 30fps. If I go to Min.Secs view and define my region as exactly 30 seconds, when I go to Timecode view it registers as one frame short.

Try it. Go to Timecode in your Main Counter. Create a region that is exactly :30.00. Then switch your Main Counter to Min.Sec. You no longer have a :30 region. So it is impossible to select :30 seconds in Timecode view.

I understand that one cannot split frames, and that frames and fractions of seconds are not exactly the same thing and that it gets complicated in 29.97 or 23.976 etc. But if I’m working in a timecoded environment, shouldn’t I be able to select exactly 30 seconds worth of frames for my output? I shouldn’t have to switch to Min.Secs view to output my commercial properly without it being too long or too short.

This is happening on both my desktop and laptop systems.

Avid, can you fix this?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Timecode and minutes:seconds not matching up

That's how the math works out for non-drop timecodes. It should match your video exactly to the frame. If it doesn't something is wrong with the video. Don't worry about the Min/Sec counter.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. I agree that's how it should work, but as far as I can tell and according to my client it doesn't work right. Selecting a :30.00 region does not give me 30 seconds unless I'm in 30fps.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.Richman View Post
Thanks for the reply. I agree that's how it should work, but as far as I can tell and according to my client it doesn't work right. Selecting a :30.00 region does not give me 30 seconds unless I'm in 30fps.
It should in 30 and 29.97 drop, but won't in 29.97 non-drop.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 PM

How is Avid to "fix" this? This is how Timecode works. It is counted in frames. 29.97 and its counter(Har!)-part 23.976 run slower than the Wall Clock. These frame rates are very slightly longer in playing time than those at 30fps. 29.97 is a slower rate than 30, right? This means that the program running at a slower rate will be longer, right? 1HR of timecode will actually be 1HR+ 108 Frames.

You are asking AVID to make 29.97 = 30 fps. How can they do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
It should in 30 and 29.97 drop, but won't in 29.97 non-drop.
Not quite... It will at 30. In Drop, it will only line up occasionally.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM

I've done countless spots and promos and never once looked at the Min/Sec counter. Doesn't matter. Laying back to tape what mattered was the timecode striped on the tape. Same as bouncing in the timeline. Align it to the target video frame rate and it should match your video exactly.

Not trying to sound snappy I just don't understand. I'd find out what frame rate your client is working with.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I've done countless spots and promos and never once looked at the Min/Sec counter.
Exactly. Or, select the length of the video.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
How is Avid to "fix" this? This is how Timecode works. It is counted in frames. 29.97 and its counter(Har!)-part 23.976 run slower than the Wall Clock. These frame rates are very slightly longer in playing time than those at 30fps. 29.97 is a slower rate than 30, right? This means that the program running at a slower rate will be longer, right? 1HR of timecode will actually be 1HR+ 108 Frames.

You are asking AVID to make 29.97 = 30 fps. How can they do that?

Not quite... It will at 30. In Drop, it will only line up occasionally.
Ah, thanks for clarifying.