Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Default PT can't commuincate with HUI

Hi guys,
I did a search for this and found someone with a similar problem, but it wasn't resolved. I have a HUI connect to my Mac via an M-Audio Midisport 2x2. I'm running PT HD 7.4 on a Dual 1.8 Power PC G5 with 2.25 GB ram.

We rarely use this HUI but now I need it. i go into the Peripherals under "setup" and select the HUI in port 1, set the receive to port A and the send to port B.

But then I keep getting the "Pro tools is unabe to communicate with the HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check it's connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings". i did a google on this and found that if the option for "run midi in background" is not checked, this can happen. The problem is, I can't find that option anywhere. Can someone please tell me how to get to that option to set this up? Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Re: PT can't commuincate with HUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAmateur View Post
Hi guys,
I did a search for this and found someone with a similar problem, but it wasn't resolved. I have a HUI connect to my Mac via an M-Audio Midisport 2x2. I'm running PT HD 7.4 on a Dual 1.8 Power PC G5 with 2.25 GB ram.

We rarely use this HUI but now I need it. i go into the Peripherals under "setup" and select the HUI in port 1, set the receive to port A and the send to port B.

But then I keep getting the "Pro tools is unabe to communicate with the HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check it's connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings". i did a google on this and found that if the option for "run midi in background" is not checked, this can happen. The problem is, I can't find that option anywhere. Can someone please tell me how to get to that option to set this up? Thanks!
I had that issue too, until I switched out my crappy Edirol MIDI interface for a MOTU Midi Express XT....

not a single problem since then! Try borrowing a different MIDI interface and see if that helps?

cheers,
rich
Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Avid

Quote:
et the receive to port A and the send to port B.
Do you actually have it connected that way - the MIDI out of the HUI connected to Port A on the Midisport and the Port B output of the Midisport connected to the MIDI in on the HUI?

If not - make sure you're selecting the actual in/out ports that you have the HUI connected to - Port A in both if the HUI ins/outs are connected to the Port A ins/outs on the Midisport.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Do you actually have it connected that way - the MIDI out of the HUI connected to Port A on the Midisport and the Port B output of the Midisport connected to the MIDI in on the HUI?

If not - make sure you're selecting the actual in/out ports that you have the HUI connected to - Port A in both if the HUI ins/outs are connected to the Port A ins/outs on the Midisport.
yep, double, triple, quadruple checked.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 AM

anyone else got a suggestion? I'm pulling my hair out here...
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Some things to try:
Make sure you have compatible drivers installed for the interface (if needed).
Try the Test function in audio midi setup- usually when you select the hui there will be constant chimes (about 2 per second?) showing that there is midi information constantly flowing from the HUI. If in addition you move a fader, press a mute or transport button you should be able to detect an additional chime corresponding to that additional signal being sent. This way at least you will be able to verify the outflow from the HUI, including the HUI, cables and AMS are functioning correctly, though it won't address any problems in the computer sending to the HUI. Just for fun you might try having the HUI midi ins and outs connected to the same port.
You might try a midi sound module as a substitution and make sure it receives from protools anything you send to it.
7.4 may not have it anymore, but there used to be an option in protools for enabling input devices which might affect HUI communication.
Also a restart occassionally is neccessary (of everything, computer, HUI, midi interface etc.). If you have another program i.e. cubase, digital peformer or anything HUI will work with you can determine if the HUI/midi interface is working by whether the HUI is working with another application.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritG View Post
Some things to try:
Make sure you have compatible drivers installed for the interface (if needed).
Try the Test function in audio midi setup- usually when you select the hui there will be constant chimes (about 2 per second?) showing that there is midi information constantly flowing from the HUI. If in addition you move a fader, press a mute or transport button you should be able to detect an additional chime corresponding to that additional signal being sent. This way at least you will be able to verify the outflow from the HUI, including the HUI, cables and AMS are functioning correctly, though it won't address any problems in the computer sending to the HUI. Just for fun you might try having the HUI midi ins and outs connected to the same port.
You might try a midi sound module as a substitution and make sure it receives from protools anything you send to it.
7.4 may not have it anymore, but there used to be an option in protools for enabling input devices which might affect HUI communication.
Also a restart occassionally is neccessary (of everything, computer, HUI, midi interface etc.). If you have another program i.e. cubase, digital peformer or anything HUI will work with you can determine if the HUI/midi interface is working by whether the HUI is working with another application.

Thanks for this info, I have tired restarted everything. I have also looked for drivers, didn't find anything (except for the driver for the Midisport which is already installed). I tried the Test option in Midi Audio setup, but i get no sound out of it. I've checked all the connections and made sure everything is correct. The HUI was not automatically added in the MAS window, so I did it manually. When I went to put in the settings though, I selected Mackie, but then there was no option for HUI. So.. maybe that's the problem?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAmateur View Post
yep, double, triple, quadruple checked.
So - which way do you actually have it connected? Have you tried both ports? Do you have another MIDI interface you could try?

There is NO need to configure it in AMS - as long as you choose the proper port for both in and out in the Peripherals>MIDI Controllers dialog in Pro Tools, it will work properly.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 PM

OK all,
Thanks for everyone's help, I'm just retarded. The "Midi Thru" button on the midisport was not pushed in, so it was acting as Midi Thru which apparently re-routes the inputs and outputs, all i had to do was push in the button to go into USB mode. Weird thing though is that I swore I had already done that.

Now that pro tools sees it, I can write automation with it but the faders do not respond to the automation already on the track (i.e. they don't move). Some sporadically move spastically even with no tracks assigned to them. I'm thinking maybe it needs an update or something?