Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Pro Tools Hd systems = Please Help

To my understanding there are PCI and actual Audio Interfaces.....

Now my question is simple, do the audio interfaces work WITHOUT the PCI cards?

I have a macbook pro and currently use a Digi 002, and thinking about bringing my recordings and music to the next level.

Thank you
Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Hd systems = Please Help

The HD interfaces must be used with the PCI cards. All the TDM processing power in located on the HD core and Accel cards. The interfaces connect to the cards. The only exceptions are the Digidesign 8 Mic Preamp and the Digidesign Midi Interface units which can be used without the cards. I hope that answers your question.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-30-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
The HD interfaces must be used with the PCI cards. All the TDM processing power in located on the HD core and Accel cards. The interfaces connect to the cards. The only exceptions are the Digidesign 8 Mic Preamp and the Digidesign Midi Interface units which can be used without the cards. I hope that answers your question.
If you need a backup answer, he’s right.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM

So if I wanted to use Pro Tools HD on a Macbook Pro, I can't?

Obviously there are no PCi slots on my laptop, help me out here fellas

thank you
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM

Just did a quick google search and found this http://sewelldirect.com/Magma-EB4.asp, apparently you can hook up this device to the laptops express slot

Very expensive...............

It looks like I might just go the Black Lion Audio Mod and if anything to my best with Pro Tools LE, as HD cost so MUCH more......
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 AM

I believe there are express card PCIe chassis available. I have no idea how well this would work..

If you are set on getting HD, then these kind of questions will get better answers on the HD forum.

PS To take your 002 to the next level, get a Rosetta 800 and as many nice external mic-pres you can afford. You will need the mic-pres for HD anyway.

If you feel the need to spend money, mic-pres, microphones, monitors, and quality room treatment will get you a bigger bang for the buck initially than just jumping from LE to HD.

YMMV
Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
I believe there are express card PCIe chassis available. I have no idea how well this would work..

If you are set on getting HD, then these kind of questions will get better answers on the HD forum.

PS To take your 002 to the next level, get a Rosetta 800 and as many nice external mic-pres you can afford. You will need the mic-pres for HD anyway.

If you feel the need to spend money, mic-pres, microphones, monitors, and quality room treatment will get you a bigger bang for the buck initially than just jumping from LE to HD.

YMMV

Now I have been reading and it seems like the Black Lion Audio Mod might be of better benefit than buying the Apogee Rosetta.

I would like to know more people that have the Black Lion audio mod though so I can ask them some questions