Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-09-2020, 06:15 AM

Default Editing Overall Tempo For A Session With Tempo Changes

Hi guys,

Sorry for the double post, but I felt things would be busier here than in 'Tips and Tricks'.

There's something that's been bothering me...Say you have a session with lots of tempo changes, and you want to step up or slow down the overall tempo by a couple of BPM. Is there a short way to do this so all the tempo changes are affected? I find myself editing each individual change, which can be tedious.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by lesbrunn; 04-09-2020 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Unclear title
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Editing Overall Tempo For A Session With Tempo Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry for the double post, but I felt things would be busier here than in 'Tips and Tricks'.

There's something that's been bothering me...Say you have a session with lots of tempo changes, and you want to step up or slow down the overall tempo by a couple of BPM. Is there a short way to do this so all the tempo changes are affected? I find myself editing each individual change, which can be tedious.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Click the little arrow on the tempo ruler to display the whole tempo ruler. select the tempo ruler from bebinning to end so it is high lighted and use the trim tool to drag tempo up or down.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Click the little arrow on the tempo ruler to display the whole tempo ruler. select the tempo ruler from bebinning to end so it is high lighted and use the trim tool to drag tempo up or down.

Chris
Hey Chris, Thanks! It does work, after a fashion, but it seems far from precise. It doesn't seem to move in definite increments, such as 1 BPM. It seems very loose and fiddly, and could take a long time to get exact numbers. Or am I entirely missing something?
Old 04-09-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hey Chris, Thanks! It does work, after a fashion, but it seems far from precise. It doesn't seem to move in definite increments, such as 1 BPM. It seems very loose and fiddly, and could take a long time to get exact numbers. Or am I entirely missing something?

Hi,

Ok, ive never done it, but try Event>Tempo and there should be a way to select the whole session and adjust by a set amount.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Ok, ive never done it, but try Event>Tempo and there should be a way to select the whole session and adjust by a set amount.

Chris
Thanks Chris. This also works and has options, but you can only scale by percentage, which while giving you extremely fine resolution, results in fractions of a BPM (to the 4th decimal point!) While this ridiculous precision could be OK for some people in some cases, there seems to be no way to coarsen the resolution and just nudge tempo by a clean BPM or 2. I'm R'ing TFM, but so far all I've found is shifting the average tempo (which itself will likely have fractions) by percentage. The other method on the edit page has a similar problem; the resolution is too fine, therefore loose. There should be a simple way to detent the trim tool so it moves in specific user-defined increments. Anyway, I'm still looking for a way.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 AM

Are you talking about a piece which has a tempo map made by beat detective or something? Because this Event> Tempo incremental % based adjustment seems to make the most sense if you simply want to nudge the whole piece one way or another and/or make it fit into a specific length for a cue or something.

Because if you have one section at 120bpm and another at 75bpm, changing that to 121 and 76 will effect the slower tempo more extremely, if you see what I mean.

Why would it matter if the tempo becomes 76.576? That method would keep the relationship of the various tempos the same throughout the piece.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
Are you talking about a piece which has a tempo map made by beat detective or something? Because this Event> Tempo incremental % based adjustment seems to make the most sense if you simply want to nudge the whole piece one way or another and/or make it fit into a specific length for a cue or something.

Because if you have one section at 120bpm and another at 75bpm, changing that to 121 and 76 will effect the slower tempo more extremely, if you see what I mean.

Why would it matter if the tempo becomes 76.576? That method would keep the relationship of the various tempos the same throughout the piece.
Hey JJ,

Thanks for your contribution. I'm not really trying to fit it into a specific length or a cue, although I occasionally need to do that for TV commercials. I know that is the general idea for creating a percentage based scaling system. Honestly, after a little more thought about it, no-one really gives a **** what the tempo is numerically, if the desired result is achieved. You are right about slower tempos being affected more. Thanks again.

And thanks to Chris for pointing me in the right direction.