Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Firewire issues and Digi 003

Please help! I know this is going to be a bit long, but this is an issue that I have been dealing with for about 2 years. I am working on a Intel Mac Dual 2 mhz with 6 gigs of ram.

I have a Digi 003 with Protools LE 8. I have been having endless problems running the software: Losing communication with host, buffer under run, random crashing, sounds from one side only etc. It has never run smoothly even when updating the software, reinstalling a completely new system, or following all instructions from Digidseign. I would estimate that 50% of my time was dealing with problems when in use. As a test, I installed Logic and borrowed a friends Duet. This has some issues where I lose sound and any output all together. In logic you can bypass the interface and just use the system speakers, and that works just fine (although I have no inputs).

In the past year or so, I have fried 3 external hard drives connected to the firewire 400 ports. This got me wondering: Are my firewire ports bad or just unstable? Has anyone had or heard of this kind of problem with firewire 400 ports?

Thanks far any help or advice.
-Anthony
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Avid

Default Re: Firewire issues and Digi 003

There are many possible causes for the problems you're having, but to narrow in on which ones you could be experiencing, we'll need to know more about your system. Please see the Help Us Help You and General Troubleshooting threads for details about what we need to know.

I see you say you've followed all instructions from Digidesign - which instructions were those, exactly?

One big thing to check - make sure that Firewire Networking is disabled.