How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-18-2020, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Personally, i think they should do the opposite...get rid of support for Windows, and use freed up resources to focus on MAC compatibility, or just build out a LINUX blackbox...the problems began when they opened up the windows bad karma....
Nah, I know my future with PT is on windows if I want the best experience with it. I proved this on my own imac pro. Windows PT got DOUBLE the AAX plugin instances of OSX, on the very same mac. This is because OSX is constantly fluctuating the speed, and windows with high performance mode kept all cores at their full rated speed at all times. Zero crashes or issues. Even the new mac pro performs better in windows, as OSX has some limitation and keeps fluctuating the MHZ, yet under windows, the cpu is able to get all the needed watts and able to stay at one single contiguous non undulating precise MHZ. On the 8 core NMP windows gives the cpu a full 20 more watts and has noticeably superior performance.

I armed the apollo at 32 buffer and played VI's all the way till the PT meter was at 100% on my imac pro in bootcamp, without one crackle or pop on windows. I have NEVER been able to do that with PT on mac.
Macs are quiet and turnkey but way behind on performance when using OSX. This has been known for over a decade.

If you buy a windows PC from a Daw builder who does all the testing for you of thousands of components and knows exactly what works for rock solid performance, as well as the best way to keep them quiet, your'e golden.

This was actually one of the many reasons I moved to PT from Logic.. a dual platform DAW to keep my options open. Asking for Avid to stop windows support is quite frankly not right at all.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Personally, i think they should do the opposite...get rid of support for Windows, and use freed up resources to focus on MAC compatibility, or just build out a LINUX blackbox...the problems began when they opened up the windows bad karma....
Exactly what killed RADAR. Closed system is a second class DAW. As much as I hate Windows it is one of the good reasons why PT is on top of the game
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

This was actually one of the many reasons I moved to PT from Logic.. a dual platform DAW to keep my options open. Asking for Avid to stop windows support is quite frankly not right at all.
This was a major reason I moved to PT in 2006. I could move between platforms and avoid being trapped by an eco system. Currently I am running a monster self build with an RME UFX and am content. Totally cross platform and I am not trapped by hardware or software.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
ProTools is so ugly under Windows with the crazy menu bar/title bar bloat and the fudged dual display setup... I would be fine with it if they could make it look the same under Windows as under OSX. I have no love for Apple in 2020... I was a big fan in 2000 though. I prefer Windows now generally.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
ProTools is so ugly under Windows with the crazy menu bar/title bar bloat and the fudged dual display setup... I would be fine with it if they could make it look the same under Windows as under OSX. I have no love for Apple in 2020... I was a big fan in 2000 though. I prefer Windows now generally.
Agreed. I am not sure why they can't spend a little time on the window layout for Windows.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I agree.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-20-2020, 05:27 PM

I feel really bad! I built a new computer last fall ( i7 hex core 4.6Ghz, 32 GB ram, SSD drives) for a really reasonable price. Installed a brand new OS, Windows 10 and Pro Tools 2019.6 and everything runs fine. Recently upgraded to PT2019.12 with the same result. I can't wait to try Pro Tools 2020.1. I saw Andrew Scheps running it at NAMM last week. Maybe I'm just lucky!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Only problem I had with it was that unlike the mac version it is not optimised for high res displays.. I have to set the imac pro to 2560*1440 which is the exact half division of 5K.. I tried every windows scaling override trick and nothing worked.. either the cursor too small, or plugins a tiny matchbox and so on..

So one thing, if you use windows and on PT, I fully recommend getting a monitor whose native res is the one you'll actually be working on.

I far prefer the taskbar to the dock.. I can't actually live without the dock when using OSX but it drives me insane with all the mi****s when the cursor is near and appears. So i leave it on permanently but even then I have issues and it enlarges when I am not near it.. and yes I need the enlarging option on cause I make the dock very small not to use much screen space. otherwise it takes up way too much precious screen room. I don't really understand your issue with the windows version, and the integrated task bar which is just like the mac os menu bar but on the bottom, is something I have always missed, as well as the start menu. But i DID come from being a windows user at home from 1997-2008 so I might see things differently to some others.

The border is not really an issue either, just maximise the screen.

Put the mixer on the second screen and you'll never have to resize. If you are only working on one screen all the time, then that I an see could be a bit annoying with the fat border once the app is not maximised.. is this what you mean? So you can have both arranger page and mixer on one screen together?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 PM

By the way this is a bit OT, but it has been leaked about a new performance mode coming to Catalina for the pro line.. the code has been leaked and is real. Apple are obviously taking complaints about low clock speeds seriously.. but if they do this, then basically the windows performance advantage over OSX will be completely gone and they'll be neck and neck. What it will do is mimic the windows "high performance" power plan mode and stop the constant intel EIST (speedstep) from occurring.
An example would be, say with a new mac pro 12 core, is that all 12 cores will be at 4ghz all the time. At least Apple are finally thinking of giving the user the option on whether they are willing to deal with more heat and higher energy bills.

This will make Catalina an absolute must have for those wanting the utmost performance they can get for plugins/VI use. There is talk it might not even include imac pros till the refresh, as the first ones shipped with high sierra, but only macs that actually require catalina to function (mac pro, macbook pro 16).

Either way, I am unwilling to lose use of my virus TI and have another one on order, and that has been abandoned for Catalina and upwards, so I may be forced to windows regardless once this imac pro has reached the end of it's lifespan.

PS it will definitley make the macbook pro 16 VERY noisy, however I don't think it will affect the new mac pro at all as the thermal design is that good. It will just mean higher electricity bills and the temps will probably go well into the 70's or even 80's but it should still be silent. Right now there is so much thermal headroom that even the 28 core stays in the 50's when all cores are maxed out in Logic.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Amen! Not to mention all of the advanced system configurations necessary to optimize ProTools, at the expense of other programs. Windows is a fine operating system for certain things, but audio production is not one of them. And with apples logic being avid ProTools number one competitor, a conflict of interest is going on there. I think a Linux port is essential for Avid’s future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk