Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Eleven = Van Halen

Check out the M-Audio BX8a's if you have a chance. For the money I found them to be the flattest / neutral sounding monitors and my ears never get fatigued at all like they would with my old skool Tannoys... Paired with a sub... whoa... The KRK's are great too for the money but I favored the M-Audios though the KRK subs sound better than the M-Audio's...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks VSA! they certainly sound good in your demos. So do you think it's worth going for a sub as well? Someone advised me against it for mixing but maybe for playing it flaps the trousers a bit better?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimification View Post
Thanks VSA! they certainly sound good in your demos. So do you think it's worth going for a sub as well? Someone advised me against it for mixing but maybe for playing it flaps the trousers a bit better?
You're welcome! Yes sir for playback, a sub is fine but never for tracking and especially not for mixing. I personally don't have one because it would drive my wife insane since we don't have a particularly bass friendly layout in our house... LOL
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Talking Re: Eleven = Van Halen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
AAWWWWW...where did Cary go?

I've been watching this post, getting a good laugh out of it....and now all of his posts are gone!

I guess he brought more heat upon himself than he could deal with.

Oh well, where's Roland Shaak at? He's an entertaining one

Peace

hi MikeFront and boys- i am back-...have not touched my 11r for a few years...bought a few red jones amps (no need to use it going pure for a bit), had to replace 110K of crap stolen when away from the mainland....

however since we last "chatted"-i found out about the bean- my brain was hyper-perfused by blood...my right brain hemisphere was pretty much starving for years making the left hemisphere dominant (logic etc side).....-now that it's been years of healing...and after losing my mind (well yeah)...the brain houses it-i am ALMOST back- but the cool crap is my chops are really coming back- i have had time to just CHILL i bagged the MotherShip, almost went back to work on the next Kinect iteration- but decided i like the no-life (not going to Kirkland daily), going to toby's on the free bus (i can get my driving privileges back if i get to it...but the P-car is undergoing a metamorphic experience from RS America to full out RSR - no smog laws (an aggie island)....HEAVEN

went to LA to hang with chaz at his studio- turns out i show up the day of his 59th...b-day (i see mine Sunday)...if i live that long. so what else happens that day?- the freaking tsunami - we are in the studio listening to his original Beatles rhythm tracks and a few Hendrix tracks he had in the can (he slapped a two track head on his Studer to listen to them i think cuz i was "medicated" )- for years ago- he just (pilfered) somehow and ...we went out to watch Fallon (being the news junk head i am had to do a quick CNN...lookie- freaking Tsunami out of nowhere- BUZZ kill! now the stuff is showing up on our coast.

Nope- bought a bunch of racked DELL servers, and KILLER new lab gear (Tek, Agilent and AP) geeked-nerded for a year or two-went back to tubes unless I need the 11r for a certain gig/vibe I use it standalone-

however i have just cleaned out the innards from the beer douche(s) i did to the 11R with the top off (damn short cord) but i gotta hand it to 11r folk- that SOB never missed a beat - my bud just plugged me back in (short cord syndrome killed 3 darn good beers that night) I or the 11r never missed a beat anyway- and he just holds up the rack the beer pours out on MY freaking carpet (not that i care- but the wife-.......well not amused - especially since it happened 3 freaking times in 45mins)......

but it cleaned up well - i fired it up recently and it still sounds good stand alone in a system- but i have not begun to ...try to make it play with x64 since 2010- i will try soon- just not high on the list- the red jones just spanks tone man...i have owned most of the fender amps to own over the years- I never have heard a strat or tele sound so good- dial it back and stuff burst brother #14 in it…golden and gorgeous wood (organic not an amp to put a cold wet beer on "fer sure")– not “orange” but the rack is great for the coming "summer" ??????? Sun?????? season here

I shall start checking in from time to time especially when ready to get busy with it or trade it for a newer design from someone that can surpass the 11r

i picked up a V.K and V.K. 2x12 cab- sounds nice may tweak it a bit but i have some nice Chet Atkins patches in the 11r, and a few nice jazz patches (i sort of modeled a Johnny Smith before i parked the 11r- to fall in love with tubes again – so there is hope – like it a bunch – just not the lack of stable drivers and product back in 2010- DO NOT know about now-

GRAND DAD RANT- (and i "ain't no one’s grand pappy-thank God means i can keep my money)

all you cats out there that are getting hammered on your chops or head by folks learn from it -good advice about that also on the various posts - let hate roll off man- just put the head to the grind stone…..it’s your heart, mind, and hands making the tunes…Eddie already did it, Chet did it, Satch did it – make your own sound, your own light to follow stand out like Bonnamassa playing Slo Gin at the north sea jazz festival – or blues deluxe or at 14 years old with Gatton’s band stand out -copying a player is cool cuz it gives a basis to your skills- but what you want to REALLY work on if you lack this all important trait – is TENACITY and a freaking thick skin- and do not carry a closed mind on your shoulders- listen to everything all styles of music, incorporate snippets, technique’s learn to bend like BB of old and pick like Albert lee- DON’T always use a pick- listen to Albert King or Stevie when the thumb and fingers work cohesively ….and NEVER forget when you are marred deep in debt, have 12 mouths to feed and an electric station wagon/suv and you are pushing 40-50..(when life ceases to exist)….

That when you strap on that strat you have kept since a teenager, and you plug it into the amp of the day or yesterday- that you can be 19 again…..
Don’t think for a minute that when the old, ugly arthritic toad Keith Richards hangs an old Esquire with 5 stings on it..in front of his backline of fenders or Marshalls- that HE doesn’t feel 19 again….

And grow a thick skin because very few will help you in the biz if the other person can get the gig instead of you, or you audition for the “whomever” band looking for some talent and they take a tenor guitar player instead of the plethora of geetar slingers that try out in front of you don't sweat it…..(Jazz crusaders audition)
Mike at valley arts told me about it and suggested I go…so I left WORK in a biz suit- a stinking Les Paul something or other (cheap one from the 70’s no maple cap or sound) the audition was above one of Marie Osmond’s studios on Rodeo drive -an OLD OLD Jewish guy plugged us into an old acoustic 360- yep a 360 amp in the other input they plugged in a cassette recorder – there was no freaking tone to be had by anyone- no tone modifiers allowed or personal amps- some of the baddest jazz cats around the LA scene tried out- they chose a tenor guitar player instead of some of the burning cats i watched maybe the tenor lacking 2 strings might leave space for hear, and feeling….lots of head turning that day…they sounded good at the Playboy Jazz festival that year and the tenor guitar cat - sounded cool.

That is what it’s about playing with life, and love of the thing you are doing- applies to a ton of gigs…you may have over life-get a dog- they NEVER trash you and if they do- you probably deserved it but even if you pissed them off- ayour dog will be waiting fro you to come home- at 3:30am from a bad gig - because it's your buddy (or you make killer - pre-overhang food at 3;30am- then all bets off on the doggie love...it becomes food lust then...

And one final pile of “grandpa crap” When I was opening for Hag, Buck and those cats- I got to know Roy Nichols- a gruff looking dude back in the late 60’s he told me one night- "the biz is a &^%$% ya never know how it’s gonna going one day you are up the next you’re a has been- he said learn a trade – whatever bank your dough (that was then, now bank it in Canada -R ) so you can eat, sleep at home and feed a family, practice and get out and play"

bedroom guitar gods are a dime a dozen get out an play – good advice from him. (slightly modified for today's times)

now I am fat with gear, too many houses, I have from 5:30am till 7pm without an old lady yelling in my ear to turn it down my dogs and i walk down the beach or go to town where "everyone knows your name" no more hassles, or fights with legends- just peace and because of that and blood flowing back to my head- my playing has gotten really killer good again compared to after the brain smash- IF i can get the right hemisphere to kick in.-

"Turn it down" the wife is a geek doesn’t understand – the power tubes like to bleed…….(btw that was the same girl when se was younger 32 years ago that was always yelling turn it up)….they get that way over time- some of them.

Now some EE stuff- my God there are some bad boy DSP's and supporting uuP's, SOC's like the Cirrus and analog chips out since way way way back in 2010 - there will be some just killer crap coming out soon - and the Boys at AES (yeah i'm one too) are talking 32bits and sample rates above 192K like in the multi-Mhz range and possibly serial steams that are ripping though the silicon- and just get a good algorithm designer "faced" on beer and put her in front of a computer ...golden tone.....can be had from a DSP.

Thanks for the “LOVE” boys….Shredders - to Bach it’s all music to somebody express YOURSELF - Dr. Knows nothing –outta here.

Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame. Bright suns may scorch and dark clouds lower, It's flash is still the same.
-Lydia Maria Child
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM

^^ Are you a Jack Kerouac fan ?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 AM

Talking Re: Eleven = Van Halen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
^^ Are you a Jack Kerouac fan ?
yep and Hunter S. and some Studs Terkel also- writing a book about Cyber war, conspiracy and some other seriously - better pay attention stuff....just received a DARPA doc on the new deep contextual scanner algorithms (request for proposal) to be used for extracting info from everyday conversation using many human attributes mathematically modeled similar to what avid does for sound after measuring the real componetry of the best amps World wide etc...it will run on a few supercomputers...you are dancing with a wild thing...all EVERYONE's noise online is going to be "listened" to for stuff "they" are looking for- not weed and crap but discussion of whatever the are zeroing in on but ISP and the 6 owners of the pipes (AT&T and others) don't want latency (cuz we will all pee and moan if we have anything more that about 35milliseconds of latency.....it is fix'n to get really stoooooopid- play your rack and make good music.....yes to all of your questions...

11R stuff
well i got the call to go to LA to play on the 30th- called the cartage company to haul a bunch of stuff down from the arctic (Washington state)

too many$$ for a 5 hr affair

so - taking my three space 11R anvil- the 11R+ a Furman- good insurance....

BTW guys i tweaked the output hardware for the 11R to THAT corp "outsmarts" balanced drivers- it was a P.I.A. but KILLER..

avid ought to look at the "Outsmarts" and "Ingenuis" chips........

BTW Ver. 2.0.01A
back in the day the University of Washington held computer fairs close to Red Square some building there- this would be when Jobs was there with the NEXT, so i smell something on my way in - i took a few buds and a ... weird *****ed woman who was a geek fest in freestanding mode... she never seen "real" hardware....i smell something...one of the round Crays...being fed by Jobs and his NEXT and some Sun stuff UNIX crap...and the output was the very early LCD screens doing F-16 cockpit sims (not the toys sims the stuff the Air Force used (my Alma Matter)....yep.....the Cray smelled it was the smell...5 Sun's and the NEXT barrage..Awesome for the times..Gates was giving some freaking speech (not key note) and the place was full of ...geeks..(they may have been the ones stinking...cuz they all ate weird crap)...

4 day old Chinese food in the fridge marked with the owner's name (stolen of course from whomever owned it), Burgermietser half eaten the flies would not crap on, (Gates's fave...and he never had dough on him NEVER- he owes me 27 cents 'da baaaaaastar&)...i could get a......??? cuz i charge interest (Cray he had this idea...figure out all the time delays, and latency with the copper traces on his stuff- so in an overall schema he made it so that with all said the master clocking was rocking but the trace lengths determine the unique to that data signal latency until it hits a chip of importance BRILLIANCE!....use the IxRxC + L component to "virtually" time the signals (all dig. of course TTL) and some CMOS..this would be EARLY Cray did i live in Co. Springs nope but it was a quick Porsche ride to it (think Johnny Smith- Cray NORAD etc)....dancing dude.

Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame. Bright suns may scorch and dark clouds lower, It's flash is still the same.
-Lydia Maria Child
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM

I love reading your posts Roland...very entertaining. You certainly have a way with words.

Oh..and whatever you're on...I want some

Gr8 2 c u back dude.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Hi guys...

I just found this thread, probably because I hadn't bought my Eleven until long after the dust had settled...

I feel compelled, on behalf of all of Canada, to apologize for Chilton. Please know that we're not all arrogant asshats with more ego than talent.

I felt driven to follow every link that was still in the thread, so that I could see for myself the man's genius, but alas, his website is 404, and all that's left are a few Youtube videos and a Myspace page. No genius was found on either, so I'll never be able to reach the lofty heights of having a song used in an indie Canadian film (even though most of them are so terrible they're only ever seen by about 100 people - and they're family members of the cast and crew). No, I guess I'll never be able to be schooled, and have to console myself with the memories of the major-label recordings and major tours I did in my prime, the European festivals I'm about to play this summer, and the knowledge that I'm still gigging regularly.

I'm such a hack.