Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-18-2020, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Best drive options - 2013 MacPro PT Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Best SSD solution for trashcan is SinTech adapter for M.2 drive (2TB), i myself use the cheaper IBM one but with the Samsung you should easily get +1GB/sec speed with internal drive. Don't need to settle for the Apple OEM drives.
Yes. . . thanks for the reminder, and I did order that adapter (different make) after your suggestion early in the thread. I plan to put my Samples on the same drive as the System(in a different volume), but it's tighter than I like at 2TB for both so I will hit a wall in the not so distant future. I will use the 4m2 for sessions, which is at least faster than 2.5" SATA SSDs. Still curious on that NESTOR though, with the x2 PCIe lanes. . .

Last edited by Howardk; 12-18-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:39 AM

I switched the 2013 Mac Pro internal SSD to a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus and installed Catalina from a bootable USB. System has been crashing frequently since. . . like 7 times in a half days use, while just while trying to install things. I didn't experience these issues prior. I did keep several of the dump files, here are some examples. I don't understand the dump data, above my pay grade. I did run memtest for days when I installed the RAM, maybe I should again, but these crashes correspond directly to this drive change and new installation of Catalina.

Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2020, 05:41 PM

Ok, I will give up on that front for now. . . I am seeing issues with Samsung EVO Plus as Apple system disks and I have no other NVMe m.2 to swap in and although I have 2 adapters, neither is Sintech, which are 3 weeks away in Canada. . . new firmware was supposed to fix the Samsung. Hmmm. . . this is looking above my pay grade and certainly in the way of my time line.

This wording was in a current eBay ad:

“Samsung 960 or 970 EVO(Risk of Random Kernal Panic) (Not support 960/970 EVO Plus)”

I am back to Apple SSD without the adapter so I am able to move forward as it takes many days to install software/samples etc. . . and that's when one has time to keep on top of things. . .

So it seems Samsung may be trouble. . . pay a premium for a headache I guess. You would think this would be smooth sailing. Is it time to return the Samsung, or fine if used elsewhere?

There are lots of other options out there, for less money, wish I knew if there are more piranhas in the water. . . . bottom line is random crashes I am experiencing, possibly due to the Samsung Plus, are intolerable. Comments, or suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Howardk; 12-20-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:11 PM

This looks like handy info:
Mac Rumours NVMe and Mac Pro