Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2014, 12:41 AM

Default Confused About HDN System

Ok so my current setup is:

Macbook Air 2013 (i5, dual core, 128gb SSD)
PT11 standard
Audient iD22 USB audio interface
Audient ASP008 pre-amp/converter expansion (via ADAT currently).

This setup works perfectly for me at the moment, I can track 10 channels with this no problem and I can mix intermediate sized sessions (including lots of plugins) which is great for all kinds of stereo work.

However, I am considering mixing for 5.1 surround in the future. For this I would need Pro Tools HD correct? Assuming I upgraded to an iMac (for more native CPU power), am I right in thinking I would NEED to scrap my iD22 interface and upgrade to an Omni interface? (along with that thunderbolt box?).

This seems like an awfully expensive upgrade just to be able to mix surround, is there an easier/cheaper way? What's the easiest step from my current setup (which I'm happy with) to a surround capable setup?

Thanks for any help :)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Confused About HDN System

Good news is that you don't need to change your computer immediately, get things going, test the system and buy a new computer later. Bear in mind that PT11 loves i7 CPU and lots of memory.

In theory, you only need the HD license to get all the nice HD features, such as surround mixer. You could continue using your existing interface that works via Core Audio, but...

In real life Avid only sells HD license bundled with hardware system, so this would be the cheapest way to buy it. I think this is great package and as entry-level HD system it's half the price it used to be (HD1+96interface).

Unless you go to fleebay and try to grab a HD license from someone who splits these systems (something Avid doesn't like).
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Good news is that you don't need to change your computer immediately, get things going, test the system and buy a new computer later. Bear in mind that PT11 loves i7 CPU and lots of memory.

In theory, you only need the HD license to get all the nice HD features, such as surround mixer. You could continue using your existing interface that works via Core Audio, but...

In real life Avid only sells HD license bundled with hardware system, so this would be the cheapest way to buy it. I think this is great package and as entry-level HD system it's half the price it used to be (HD1+96interface).

Unless you go to fleebay and try to grab a HD license from someone who splits these systems (something Avid doesn't like).
Damn I hate real life... But in all seriousness thank you for the honest and informative reply. Sounds like I'll be staying away from surround for a while at least. Such a shame as I could take advantage of a ridiculously good monitor deal going right now.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Damn I hate real life... But in all seriousness thank you for the honest and informative reply. Sounds like I'll be staying away from surround for a while at least. Such a shame as I could take advantage of a ridiculously good monitor deal going right now.

If you can find one, you can get an HD license(new) on Ebay for around $1600 or so. You'd then have all the surround features and could use your existing hardware. You can register the software with Avid without a problem...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...