Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-30-2020, 05:43 PM

Default Madi + omni

I need to track 50 inputs fed to me via MADI. I have 1 HDX card. Can I connect my OMNI to a port, then the MADI to the omni's expansion port and configure the I/O to use some OMNI analog and some MADI? Then use the other HDX port for the second MADI i/o? Make sense? With a MADI interface alone taking both ports I have no monitoring or way to feed a mix to the video peeps.

Make sense? Or do I need to get a second HDX card? Any way around that and have a couple Analog monitoring outputs?

TIA, Ainslie
(sorry if this has been covered ... )
Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Madi + omni

To get 64 channels MADI to Pro Tools, you need to connect both ports on your HDX card to MADI. If there is expansion port on MADI (I forgot) you could connect OMNI to that?!
Old 08-01-2020, 06:51 AM

There’s an expansion port on the Omni - I did find a previous thread that covered this. Seems like I’ll get 48ch madi if I use a port to expand thru the Omni. In my case I can work with that. I will find out Monday when I set up for the recording.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 AM

I think that can work, you connect one MADI port to second port on the card and other port to OMNI!