Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2016, 08:25 AM

Default Standard vs. HD Pro Tools for post

hi all,

at my work (which I just left) I have been using HD version.
Now I want to work at home some general editing for post. I do not need surround at this point etc...

As far as I know, timecode ruler is now part of non HD software as well, I can import OMFs and stuff.

My main concern, as I see it now, is video manipulation and I can not find info on whether is possible to cut (I know its only one track possible) that one track.

Sometimes we receive instruction to cut from certain frame to certain frame or to insert some time, where I can just copy few frames to fill needed timeline...

Is this possible in non HD??

Any users that are doing post here on non HD? Anyone care to share experiences and workflow?
Unfortunately I am at the tight budget at the moment and I can not go to HD if it is not absolutely necessary...

Also, I like to know which Blackmagic interface is the least costly, the cheapest one that will allow me to monitor video window on its own screen fullscreen (true fullscreen , not fit the screen option)?

Is it DeckLink Mini Monitor PCIe card? for 145USS?

thank you!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Standard vs. HD Pro Tools for post

I've been using Standard for my freelance post work and haven't had any major issues I can't work around easily.

I haven't tried cutting the video track in Standard, but if I get any edits I'll just make a new video in QuickTime 7 Pro--it's easy enough to delete or add frames in the same way you're describing. You'll have to add a step because you'll be replacing and reimporting the vid, but at least you have a solution if Standard can't do the basic vid edits you need.

Honestly, the thing I miss the most for my workflow is not having the cmd-/ shortcut available to clear automation in a flat line!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:46 PM

I'll tell you what I like about HD that is not in standard

Surround bussing and panning (this is a big, really big deal for a majority of post work)
A few "advanced automation modes", the most important to me is PREVIEW
Scrub trim, one of my favorite ways to scrub audio. These days I am very reliant on it as a convenience and time saver.
Back and play, another big time saver while mixing.

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/compare

Cutting the video track is nice but not one of the things that I use often. Having more than one video track is very nice (sometimes REALLY NICE) but you can get the work done without either of them.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'll just make a new video in QuickTime 7 Pro--it's easy enough to delete or add frames in the same way you're describing.
I've done the same. It becomes a problem only when/if you don't have a timecode window burn in the video already (or the timecode was changed in a way that is not reflected by the window, such as drop/non-drop code changes). You can still do it but the math required is prone to mistakes, I know from experience, and I've seen QTPro-7 indicate there is an extra frame at the beginning of a file when one does not exist in Pro Tools or Media Composer. Without a burn window I don't know that I could be certain about what I am doing.

Just my experience, as always things can go perfectly most of the time.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
It becomes a problem only when/if you don't have a timecode window burn in the video already.
Yes, absolutely helps to have the TC. Good catch.