Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 Problem All tracks are selected for everything in edit window.

Please assist, if anyone here knows about this issue. I am in PT 8 HD. CS2. And my selector, or any tools in the edit window is defaulted to select all tracks. Its irritating me to death. I can't figure out how to get my selector, or whatever tool just to work on one individual track not the entire session. its acting like I pushed "shift" and selected on all my tracks so that I can (for example) resize all of the tracks to medium at the same time. If I high light something in the edit window. It highlights all the tracks. If I select or cut something. It draws a straight line up the entire session edit window and to every track. How do I get it back to working only on one track?

I never intentionally selected whatever feature this is. I have been on Pro Tools for a while. I don't have a clue what is going on. Its like every track is stuck at be "selected all". If I do anything in the edit window. Every track is effected by it.

I am serioulsy about to ditch Pro Tools 8 and head back to 7.4 where it was headache free for me. This is the cherry on top of many issues with Pro Tools 8. Sick of all time I waste trying to make Pro Tools 8 work. URGGGG.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 Problem All tracks are selected for everything in edit window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post

I am serioulsy about to ditch Pro Tools 8 and head back to 7.4 where it was headache free for me. This is the cherry on top of many issues with Pro Tools 8. Sick of all time I waste trying to make Pro Tools 8 work. URGGGG.
Have you tried reading the manual yet of all the new features and changes?

Sounds like you have the "ALL" group selected. this should give you one less cherry to worry about

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 Problem All tracks are selected for everything in edit window.

Yea your right. I am a dummy. URGGG> I can't believe I missed that...bad day. sorry Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM

But I don't have the ALL group selected (or any other groups) and I still get a group of tracks selected in the edit view... only on one certain session though..Very bothersome
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM

when you click on the only open track does it change at all.
It should only select that track when you do. Does clicking and double clicking make a difference.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 AM

I also had this problem and found that i had all my groups selected/highlighted so even if i deselected 'all' in groups - all my tracks would still select.
Until i deselected each group then i was able to select my track individually
Hope that helps someone!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 AM

I saw this post, I know its old, but it was also never resolved and there is a simple answer so I thought I would pitch in just in case others have this issue on future pro tools versions.
The Answer:
If all tracks are selected in EDIT window and they are not allocated to a group or all group then hit: CTRL+SHIFT+G this will suspend all tracks, done, you can now select tracks individually again...
Old 07-23-2017, 02:59 AM

THANK you @RISEY! for explaining the solution!

this problem only took up 10 minutes of my time, because you went to the effort to tell me to undo the random thing i must have done! appreciated!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:53 AM

I've had a similar problem that took me a little while to solve...
Sometimes I would find all the tracks selected, even though there was no active group.
It came from accessing a certain location by clicking in the line that is directly above the tracks, that while the "Link track and edit selection" function is engaged.
A friend finds himself in this little trap once or twice a year and he calls me to remind him that he has to deselect one track by clicking it while holdind CMD...
Pro Tools 12.6 - Apple Macbook Pro 2015 - Mac OS 10.11 - RME Fireface 802
Old 07-16-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mups View Post
Sometimes I would find all the tracks selected, even though there was no active group.
It came from accessing a certain location by clicking in the line that is directly above the tracks, that while the "Link track and edit selection" function is engaged.

This exact thing is happening to me right now and I can't figure it out. I have tried deselecting one track while holding CMD, like you suggested... no success.