Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-04-2016, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Commit clip is too hot!! Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
Have you turned up the clip gain on the original audio? I can see the clip gain for the committed track, but what is the clip gain on the original? From memory, the audio on a track can be above 0dBFS, but doesn't clip because the mixer is running as 32bit floating point, and the volume of the fader can drop the volume to acceptable levels. The waveform won't necessarily look clipped because clip gain seems to just act like a zoom and ignores the output volume. But if you commit and uncheck the volume setting, it will render the audio relative to 0dBFS, anything over will be clipped.

Try freezing the original track and see if that then looks clipped also.

Hopefully I've explained this clearly enough, sorry if I haven't.

Does it sound like a clipped version of the original?
Nuts, it happened again, but - I did freeze the original track and it is clipped. What does that mean? Like you said, it clips at 0db, but how can I get the clip just to commit to the identical volume and appearance of the original?

I know I clicked something wrong because it worked for a couple days, now they are clipped again!

Yes, it does sound like a clipped version of the original.

I can commit in another session fine, but not in this session.

Last edited by firmflange; 12-04-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:44 PM

What that suggests to me is that your possibly your master is peaking above 0dBFS when you have the effects bypassed, and then you are pulling the volume down on the fader. With the effects it can't go above 0dBFS as you have limiters to prevent that.

Be aware that master fader inserts are post fader, so the fader drives the input of the peak limiter, and the output of the peak limiter will set the true output volume. However, the limiter will not cause the signal to go above 0dBFS as they are designed to stop that.

I always leave my master fader at 0 and make sure my mix never peaks on it, pulling down the source sounds until there are no peaks. rather than pull the master fader down.

I can see that your bounce is clipping (if you did that bounce in the screenshot with all the effects bypassed), or peak limited to start with (if you bounced with the effects).

If you add clip gain (or inserts that add gain) above 0dBFS, it will not show a clipped waveform until you freeze or commit - you can add 36dB of gain with clip gain and it will not display a clipped waveform until you commit it. Check the fader at the bottom left of the audio clip, and see if you've accidentally bumped it, or look at the clip gain line in the view menu.

If you use audio suite's gain module, select your bounce and click analyse, what peak does it show? If it shows a positive number in orange/yellow it is above 0dBFS, and you need to turn it down, via clip gain, via normalise, or by the track fader. If you use the track fader to bring the volume down, make sure you tick the render volume tickbox, so that it commits that change, otherwise it will bypass the fader. If you *have* gone over 0dBFS, and you pull the channel fader down and commit with render volume automation, it will render the audio after the channel fader, so any overs might be compensated. If you uncheck the render volume box, it will render the audio relative to 0dBFS, and any overs will clip.

Something to be aware of, is that you are using two peak limiters on your master buss. Maxim (which distorts horribly even when it is working normally) might be reducing the bit depth, which is potentially adding some complication to the process.You only need one brickwall limiter to set the output relative to 0dBFS. You should only reduce bit depth at the very end of the process once you've done all gain changes.

I hope that helps you troubleshoot!
Antelope Audio Zen Tour

Last edited by DarkandKurious; 12-04-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: *I wrote the above looking at the original screen shot*
Old 12-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post

Be aware that master fader inserts are post fader, so the fader drives the input of the peak limiter, and the output of the peak limiter will set the true output volume. However, the limiter will not cause the signal to go above 0dBFS as they are designed to stop that.

Dark, I just did a " 'Control, Command, Option' [ " and my waveform visual came up hotter!, thus I think the reason for the clipping that you are describing. I brought them down a couple db, and that seemed to keep them down when I recommitted. This was a little tricky for a beginner like me.

I will try what you are talking about though :)