Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Default Safe to upgrade to El Capitan yet?

With Sierra OS less than a week away, and my facilities having been uncomfortable with all the reported issues w/ El Capitan over the past few months, I'm wondering if it's yet safe to upgrade to El Capitan today. We're running PT 12.5.1 (12.5.2 immediately starting causing crashes).
Old 09-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Safe to upgrade to El Capitan yet?

wait until avid supports sierra and upgrade right there. sierra works much better even though it is obviously unsupported as we speak
Old 09-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
With Sierra OS less than a week away, and my facilities having been uncomfortable with all the reported issues w/ El Capitan over the past few months, I'm wondering if it's yet safe to upgrade to El Capitan today. We're running PT 12.5.1 (12.5.2 immediately starting causing crashes).
Uh no.

Why do you need to upgrade? Unless it is to fix a Pro Tools related problem I would not change anything. And Sierra seems a much better target to wait for if you do not need to upgrade right now. El Capitan still has graphics issues for some users, and you would need to look at your actual interface driver support/any issues.

I would rather put time into testing the Sierra (install onto spare/clean partition) release than worrying about El Capitan.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 AM

At this point I think it's safe to say that Pro Tools users should skip El Capitan and wait for Sierra OS. Yosemite is great with PT, no reason to upgrade from that.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 AM

Sounds unanimous --> skip El Capitan.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 PM

Ixnay on El Crapitan. Most of my colleagues and myself rolled back to YO or even MAVS for PT happiness. I use Mavs on my MBPro since I can use my PT10HD asset doing stage fixes and the like. That is a sweet combo. At my studio it's YO and PT12.4...still having ?? and some bad experiences with 12.5.2...Kernel Panic type Bad, so I rolled back to 12.4. I will say that 12.5.2 is pretty solid on my Win 10 MX creation rig. But my MacPro and PC rigs are different horses for different courses.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 09-15-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Sounds unanimous --> skip El Capitan.
100% agree here aswell. El Cap killed one of our nMP and we had to do a long dance to get back working on that one

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 PM

I recently bought PT 12.5.2 and loaded it onto my MacBook that already had El Capitan (10.11.5) running.
I feel like throwing both the laptop and the iLok from the 25th floor balcony and buying Cubase instead.
I can't bounce mixes to disc or even play through an entire 3-minute song without error AAE-9073 coming up.
It is fine for editing short sections and setting up the mix, but last night it took 37 attempts to bounce to disc a rough mix of a 4-minute song before I was lucky enough to get through an entire bounce without crashing. Very embarrassing when a client has to hang around for nearly an hour when the job should have taken 4 minutes.
I am so angry that AVID was selling ProTools to Mac Users in 2016. There is no point advising people after the event that there are problems with 10.11.4 and beyond because when you buy a Mac you can't buy previous versions of the OS. I was told in the Apple Store that I can't load an earlier version of El Capitan or even load Yosemite onto my MacBook. I'm pretty pissed at Apple too.
I've been trying to find out if PT 12.6 will have a fix for this problem (and other stability issues), but the promo material is unclear.
Does anyone know if the El Capitan problems will be fixed with PT12.6?
Advice from AVID would be very welcome. The silence is deafening.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:31 AM

In all honesty, while Avid might could do more to make Pro Tools stable on El Capitan, it really seems that the root of the problem here is Apple. Yosemite is great and early tests shows that Sierra OS is great. One thing that is constant in this equation is Pro Tools.
With all this said, you should investigate your setup a bit more. While El Capitan is not great with Pro Tools, it is not unusable. If you list your specs and versions, someone might help you.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Dear View Post
I recently bought PT 12.5.2 and loaded it onto my MacBook that already had El Capitan (10.11.5) running.
I feel like throwing both the laptop and the iLok from the 25th floor balcony and buying Cubase instead.
I can't bounce mixes to disc or even play through an entire 3-minute song without error AAE-9073 coming up.
It is fine for editing short sections and setting up the mix, but last night it took 37 attempts to bounce to disc a rough mix of a 4-minute song before I was lucky enough to get through an entire bounce without crashing. Very embarrassing when a client has to hang around for nearly an hour when the job should have taken 4 minutes.
I am so angry that AVID was selling ProTools to Mac Users in 2016. There is no point advising people after the event that there are problems with 10.11.4 and beyond because when you buy a Mac you can't buy previous versions of the OS. I was told in the Apple Store that I can't load an earlier version of El Capitan or even load Yosemite onto my MacBook. I'm pretty pissed at Apple too.
I've been trying to find out if PT 12.6 will have a fix for this problem (and other stability issues), but the promo material is unclear.
Does anyone know if the El Capitan problems will be fixed with PT12.6?
Advice from AVID would be very welcome. The silence is deafening.
Yes Apple made a total mess of El Crapitan. But 9073 might not be El Capitan related. 12.5.x has a pile of issues itself, and often 9073 really do point to storage or related issues. As suggested create a new thread, provide all your system info, especially make/model/spec of drives used, is the system fully optimized? And what standard troubleshooting you have tried (under "help us help you" up top of this web page). How large are the sessions? What sample rate? Is disk cache enabled? (Set to a size not "normal") are you letting the cache fill before trying to start? Trash prefs, try with new sessions, try recording to the internal SSD, disable spotlight indexing on all drives (mark them private), uninstall any Antivirus or similar crapware, make sure no other apps are running, try creating a new admin usser and testing with a new emoty session from that account, try temporarilly removing all third party plugins (yes I know it is not a CPU error, but humor me) from the plugin folder. etc.