How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-05-2015, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Still a bit confused on the upgrade plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds1001 View Post
Anyone think these plugins are worth $100? I haven't used any of them, but it feels like it'd be better to put this $100/year towards the Slate subscription deal.
It just depends on what you are going to do/need primarily.

With Slate you wonīt get any FXs like these. With Slate you will get high quality EQs, Compressors,
Limiters and one really nice, very musically sounding Lexicon style reverb (Relab LX480) but not even
only one Chorus, Delay, Flanger, Phaser, Roto Speaker etc.
Well, one nice Virtual Tape Machine (kinda Delay) but this ainīt gonna work as a normal delay finally.

Means, if you do a lot of guitar work for example or other stuff you may need such effects like Phaser,
Chorus, Flanger etc. those effects still will be the better choice than the Slate stuff (though I also have it,
use it and love it, no doubt about it) and worth the $100.-, also as for itīs quality.

Just because with Pro Tools originally there donīt come a lot of good, useable Modulation/FX kinda stuff
etc. but useable EQs, Compressors, Limiters. The Avid Channelstrip alone is a very useable, professionally
sounding tool including a lot of good stuff.

And those Bonus plugins do sound well indeed, just do not sound kinda cheap like many other stuff like
that from other manufacturers, still are good plugs imo.

So itīs just what one will need more for his work. More good quality FXs or more good, colorful EQs,
Compressors and Limiters than Avid do deliver with Pro Tools 12 originally.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Just because with Pro Tools originally there donīt come a lot of good, useable Modulation/FX kinda stuff .

Uh... gotta disagree with you there.

The AIR modulation FX are great. I use them all the time and I own a LOT of 3rd party modulation FX from Waves, NI etc.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Uh... gotta disagree with you there.

The AIR modulation FX are great. I use them all the time and I own a LOT of 3rd party modulation FX from Waves, NI etc.
Yeah, you are right, they ainīt that bad at all and I have used them as well but did not get always the best results with certain kinds of vocals or
guitars for example. Sometimes they got too harsh or thin or too digitally sounding, on other sources they were kinda dull (on trying to avoid the
harshness), does not work with almost everything on a decent, average level. Sometimes they work really well, sometimes they do not (for me at
least). Unlike with Soundtoys for example or other 3rd party guys which always deliver a good, average level of quality on several different sources.

The problem for me was, if, for whatever reason, the AIRs would not work, what else could I try using only original Pro Tools plugins, without any 3rd
party stuff?
I didnīt find any alternatives in the Pro Tools only plugin range. So these new Bonus plugs are a nice addition for people who do not own a lot of good
quality 3rd party modulation plugs imo. To me they definitely do sound well, not cheap at all.
Not only useable on guitars but on vocals, keys as well I guess.

Last edited by VRW; 11-05-2015 at 08:03 AM.