Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Convince me PT was not a mistake.

Having playback issues. 6086. Here are my specs.

System
Host Name : JACK-BURTON
User : Aric
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz
Speed : 2.10GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, Inclusive, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 4-way, Inclusive, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

System
System : Gateway NV54 Series
Mainboard : Gateway SJV50MV
Bus(es) : ISA PCI PCIe PCMCIA USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : 1 Processor(s)
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : No
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies LTD 255.255
Total Memory : 3.93GB

Chipset 1
Model : Acer ??? (2A40)
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Generic PnP Monitor
Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Imaging Device : Video WebCam

Physical Storage Devices
WDC WD32 00BEVT-22ZCT 320GB (SATA300, NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 298.09GB (C:)
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H (SATA150, 24x CD-R, 24x CD-W, 3x DVD-R, 3x DVD-W, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
SYSTEM RESERVED : 100.00MB (71.87MB, 72% Free Space) (NTFS)
Gateway (C:) : 286.27GB (227.64GB, 80% Free Space) (NTFS) @ WDC WD32 00BEVT-22ZCT 320GB (SATA300, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
PQSERVICE : 11.72GB (2.57GB, 22% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A @ Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H (SATA150, 24x CD-R, 24x CD-W, 3x DVD-R, 3x DVD-W, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 0 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : Digidesign Mbox 2 Firmware Updater
Keyboard : Launch Manager
Mouse : Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Human Interface : USB Input Device

Communication Device(s)
Device : HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Printers and Faxes
Model : Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Model : Fax

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 100%

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Media Center 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : Win64 x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 3.3

Network Services
Adapter : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Adapter : Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter

Honestly as DAWs go I am not of the thinking that PT is irreplaceable, although I appreciate the fact we have all been trained to believe that. If anything is irreplaceable its physical gear. That said I dont see avid giving me my money back so I would like to make this "marriage" work. I understand that a pc laptop is not the best way to go for running PT but thats where Im at right now. I dont plan on doing any advanced recordings. My aim is mostly to do digital mixes of some stuff I did analog mixes of in the past in hopes of attaining something "in the box" that I couldnt find outside the box. However all I have found in the box thus far is a lot of BS. Every step of the way I have had problems with PT. When I was running it on my desktop before it died with xp it was working... ok, but in win7 I have yet to get it to work right at all. My latest issue is 6086 errors even with all the plug-ins stripped off, Although my plan was to eventually try slapping some ozone4 plug-ins on the drum bus and master fader. I am using the dreaded 8.03 currently. Can anyone come up with a solution that can convince me buying PT was not a mistake?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Convince me PT was not a mistake.

You'll love PT once you get it working. Are you writing to a dedicated hard drive?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:15 PM

From the tens of thousands of us that use PT without a glitch and love what it can do, we feel for you dude. Obviously, the problem lies with your setup. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Honestly, you're better off with another DAW. E.G. Record, Reaper, Studio One, Logic.

Even with 100% compatible hardware, there's no guarantee that it will work well.

After more than a year of tweaking on a compatible system, I still get these errors. They will probably not go away.

I work mostly in PT, only because I don't want to start over quite yet. I have a lot of presets, etc..

My advice is - don't get the habit started.
Many other DAWS will give you the same quality, more flexibility and less headache.

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 PM

At risk of offending you, and others I'm sure, Did you bother to check the specification and/or requirements of PT before you bought it? Or, as so many have done, did you just assume that since the computer that you had would start and run a game or two it should run PT?

I see a number of problems right off in looking at your system.. single drive, wireless NIC, Vista (can be used but requires considerable effort), 64 bit (another contentious issue for most), no mention of CS updates, troubleshooting, etc.. et al.. ad nauseum.

You are going to have to bring your computer, your OS, and your troubleshooting up to speed before you have any hope of trouble-free use of PT..

It's not what you are going to want to hear, (ie: I understand that a pc laptop is not the best way to go for running PT but thats where Im at right now)..., but those are the facts.

As a suggestion, if this is all you can do for a computer right now, consider a different platform such as Reaper.. it works on anything and has a lot of useful functionality. There are other platforms that would do equally well for you probably.. but you have to do the legwork.

Later on, when you have a computer more suited to PT, try it again and be happily surprised. It's worth the effort, but it is an effort sometimes.

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 PM

I can't find the link right yet, but I don't believe PT is compatable with the media center versions of windows.
Windows System : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Media Center 6.01.7600
But Installing a different OS would probably give you musch better results. I run it on a dell laptop with vista basic and only has a dual core 2g processor with 3 gigs of ram. It works good enough to record 18 tracks at once. I use a maxtor one touch firewire drive for the audio. I don't see another drive listed. Are you using a second HD for audio?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 PM

U've convinced us that ur computer was a mistake if nuthin else; ur definitely not gonna get much from PT with that computer jus being candid...

Maybe, & thatz a maybe, som'n else may work on that computer but not PT... @least not a new version of PT...

Also, if thatz ur email, especially business, ur setting urself up directly for the spammers...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Have to agree with my fellow ducks here...your computer could use some love. It doesn't have to be anything insane, and in my opinion having the latest and greatest is not necessarily the way to go at the moment. On my home rig I run an 003 rack to a Dell Optiplex 745 running Win XP with 4 gigs of RAM. This is not a heavy hardcore machine at all, but I've run LE on it for over three years and can probably count the error messages I've received on one hand.

Once you get your computer up to snuff, I'm sure you'll love it...even with the dreaded 8.0.3 :)

edit: did you get your driver issue resolved from your post last night?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Besides all else. Have you done the recommended optimizations for PT. I know for a fact that the power settings in vista if set wrong will make PT virtually unusable. They need to be set to 100% and cpu cycling needs to be turned off. Especially on a slower machine.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 PM

I bought it to run for a pc that is no longer in service (digital protection virus).
I have used PT 7.4 for about 2 years on an "on site" mac at a studio I frequented so I am not a novice user. Thanks for the effort, but other than "your [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ed" Im not seeing a lot of answers. Maybe I will try being more specific. For instance, is running PT in a virtual OS something that has worked for anyone? Or is there some way I can reconfigure my laptop to accommodate PT? Also I dont have an external HD, but like said, I am not doing ANY recording, just mixing. As far as all the PT love goes. If you can count all your error msgs on 1 hand after 3 years you're either not being completely honest, or you're part of an elite group of pro tools users that could probably be counted on 2 hands. PT is nowhere near as bad as DP when it comes to errors and crashes but its definitely in 2nd place. I have used Logic, DP, and Audition, which are all pretty good DAWs when used in conjunction with tangible gear, but on their own I am not getting what I need.