Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-06-2002, 11:36 AM

Default Chopped audio playback

Hi there,

I am using a PT 3 Nubus System with Software 4.3.1, two Disk I/Os three Farm Cards in an Expansion chassis. I am running it on a Mac 7100 with Newer Tech G3 board. Everything worked flawlessly until today when in the mid of the session when I played back an awesome take by a violin player the audio sounded totally damaged. Like chopped and gated sounding. The waveform actually looked ok, so I thought restarting the computer would do it but no way. Still the same, still the waveform looked okay. I checked everything and recognised that the harddrive of Disk i/o 2 was not terminated. Since the audio was on that drive...could this have been the problem. Anyone experiencing similiar things??? This was really embarrassing. I need help soon. Tomorrow the session will continue and it'd be a nightmare if something like that would happen again.....

Best,

Markus
Old 03-07-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Chopped audio playback

Anyone?
Old 03-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Avid

Connect the drive in question to the External Mac SCSI bus and run a diagnostic utility on the drive such as Disk Warrior. What does it report?

-Make sure that your drives are formatted as HFS Standard volumes...HFS+ is not supported by PT 4.x.

PT 4.2 with DAE/DSI 3.3 is the last versions to support NuBus hardware....all bets are off when you 'hot rod' PT 4.3.x to run NuBus gear.

Brent
Old 03-07-2002, 10:59 AM

Hi,

thanks for your help Brent. I had none of these problems today and I think the problem was my Waitec CD-Burner which has been connected to the Mac Scsi Bus and was turned on all the time. Now after I switched it off none of the above problems accured. Could this have been the problem? Any reports on problems like this?

Best,

Markus
Old 03-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Avid

Although I can't say I've seen a situation like this, a conflict could arise if the CD-R device is sharing a SCSI ID# with one of your Disk I/O drives. Use unique ID's for all devices (regardless of them being on separate busses).

-In addition, make sure that all SCSI busses (Mac Internal, Mac External, Disk I/O #1 and Disk I/O #2) are all terminated separately (no SCSI loops should exist between busses).

Last but not least, your Disk I/O SCSI cable may be suspect. Reseat the cable at both ends (at the card and the drive) and check for any fraying that may have occured at the connector to the card...You may also want to swap Disk I/O cables and see if the problem follows the cable.

Running DigiTest wouldn't be a bad thing to do either.

Brent