Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Default Re: A Game Changer!!-Pro Tools AS a Rewire Slave-with RME TotalMix!! &collectively64b

If you have to go through all this why not just use another DAW? Is it really that serious, or are you just a geek who enjoys figuring out weird ways to run PT? I'm not trying to be an a** but this just seems like a bit much, if not completely irrelevant to 99.9% of PT users.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Default Re: A Game Changer!!-Pro Tools AS a Rewire Slave-with RME TotalMix!! &collectively64b

Dnnspv
TotalMix will allow Programs (that are othwise Incompatible with one another) run side by side and share audio and midi on the SAME computer. And it raises the Ram limit if Apogee is correct. Pro Tools can be run in variety of ways with TotalMix's ability. It can't replace HDX cards, or do what they do. That's apples and oranges.
TotalMix gives the user a different way to run Pro Tools and the ability to create sessions that would otherwise not be possible.
So how is that "completely irrelevant to 99.9% of Pro Tools users"?

And bashville
John Toolbox is right, its not technically ReWire. But its actually one better because midi out on the Slave has the option to be enabled.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Those needing more RAM simply buy a VI host. Also, who the hek wants to use PT VI's and FX in say Cubase or Logic? It's an elaborate setup that makes no sense when you can just use the plethora of VI's and FX that come with Cubase and Logic. The AIR VI's and FX are not THAT good. I just don't see the point. That's all.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
I just don't see the point. That's all.
I don't either... just use Reaper.

What in world would you gain by rewiring RTAS plugs in that you can't get with VST?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Yeah. Cool that it was figured out but I just use VEPro. There are no plugs in PT that I can't use as VST or Audio Units.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I would assume that because totalmix is the link to the audio interface, that all programs are resolving to the same clock signal(the RME's clock signal). That's the trick, more than one program can simultaneously access an RME interface at once via totalmix. Totalmix is essentially allowing him to connect i/o via software, the audio is being routed through the interface's onboard DSP mixer, but the totalmix software is essentially letting him patch the inputs and outputs of the RME's DSP mixer without having to use physical io and cables.

As far as saving goes, I don't think it will work the way rewire works, this is a workaround for something that's not supposed to be possible so file management is not going to be as streamlined as rewire.
I didn't mean word clock, I meant time-base location in the session, like SMPTE, or bars and beats. If it's not rewire, how are the various apps starting and stopping and locating? Who's chasing who?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 AM

bashville
This method is for Pro Tools to play as an Instrument and effects processer.
If you need to play audio on PT tracks use MTC-setup/peripherals/synchronization and select your IAC bus that has the MTC from your other daw.
Beyond that you might? find smpte options and more but you're really shootin the moon at that point and best to stay with your old shoe. I don't think RME is for you bashville.

But TotalMix is deep, it has a lot of non-standard feature that'll allow you to find what you're looking for. Just read the manual, I can't pretend to understand it all, but from the things I've heard there is a lot of new innovative things happening with it.
Just the fact that the RME audio device can serve multiple clients simultaneously, and mixes them automatically to the mains is amazing.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I didn't mean word clock, I meant time-base location in the session, like SMPTE, or bars and beats. If it's not rewire, how are the various apps starting and stopping and locating? Who's chasing who?
^ What he said. You could use MTC via the iac bus to sync up transports, but I don't think that's necessarily the ideal way to use this. It's more for someone who uses another DAW as their main program, but wants to use Pro Tools VI's and effects with it. This is not for everyone, for sure... but it's cool to know that there's a way to do it.

Diccer am I correct that you could theoretically send audio both ways through totalmix? So by using this setup, you could access TDM or RTAS plugins in another program? Two way audio streaming between programs is something that rewire can't do.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM

John
You can route audio both ways between 2 daws with TotalMix, being careful of course to not let the I/O settings overlap.

Questions though: If a 3rd party audio device/current engine is selected in Pro Tools HD, does the core card's TDM still work? Let's say as a quick test if you just selected the "built in line output" as the current engine, would the TDM effects/instrument channels still play through the output?
(If so this would, I suppose, be an alternate way to get Logic to access TDM again..)(And for me the Virus)
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
John
You can route audio both ways between 2 daws with TotalMix, being careful of course to not let the I/O settings overlap.

Questions though: If a 3rd party audio device/current engine is selected in Pro Tools HD, does the core card's TDM still work? Let's say as a quick test if you just selected the "built in line output" as the current engine, would the TDM effects/instrument channels still play through the output?
(If so this would, I suppose, be an alternate way to get Logic to access TDM again..)(And for me the Virus)
TDM won't work unless you are running PTHD in DAE mode. I guess I just answered the TDM part of my own question. If PTHD accesses totalmix, it will have to be running in Core audio(mac) or ASIO(PC) mode, so you won't have access to the TDM bus. The only way to integrate TDM plugins with anything else is by using physical io. The older versions of Logic and DP were able to run TDM hardware in DAE mode, but those are long gone AFAIK.

I always kick myself for not keeping one of my old mix cores around, I have several plugins like soundblender, etc. on my ilok that are TDM only, and not likely to ever have native versions.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?