Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-09-2002, 09:09 PM

Default How do you fit the grid to your loop???

I was a student in the Recording Connection program, and I was doing a song on ProTools...
This was a Hip Hop song-I had a basic sampled loop of music from a previous song... The loop was basically pasted across the song by using "repeat" Ok, then....

Another student showed me how to set up the session in this way...the LINES of the grid on the front and back of each region were then lined up to match that loop. I know that "Identify Beat" was part of it, but I don't remember exactly the steps to re-set that mode. I remember typing in the beginning and end of each time the region was there and ProTools reset the grid lines to match the loop. THat helped to line up all the rest of the samples on the song to the main loop.....How do you do this?
Old 05-10-2002, 07:37 AM

Default Re: How do you fit the grid to your loop???

Try going throught the Identify Beat section of the PT Reference Guide - for 5.1, it's at p264.
This should sort you out.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:36 PM

Hi, thanks for the recommendation...

Believe it or not, I did go through an older ProTools manual I got from Foothill College from a while before I actually got the program
(since, yes, ProTools LE and the Digi 001 does NOT come with a full user's manual, just a "quick start guide"-strange but true)

I'll go through that manual again, but I will mention that my last search didnt turn up the exact answer to this particular function..

..In other words, I'm trying to do this-
Take a piece of steady-flowing music which is pretty much going at a constant speed, edit it down to what is officially one bar of music, and then- it's like you're essentially telling ProTools,
"OK, this region's exact span of time equals One Bar. Change the grid's size throughout the whole session, so that the grid reflects this region as the measurement of what One Bar will be" That way, when you line up other tracks with it to layer, or use Grid mode or maybe the Repeat funtion, you stay on point and dont get off the beat...

I keep trying to use Identify Beat to do this and I dont see the grid changing at all... anyone know this one who has an easy answer? (I know, there ARE no easy answers, but aint there one for this? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2002, 05:36 AM

*Select the loop as a region
*Count the beats,,is it a one bar,two bar,or four bar beat?
Old 05-11-2002, 05:53 AM

*Select the loop as a region
*Count the beats,,is it a one bar,two bar,or four bar loop?
*open the transport window and deselect the conducter function.
*Open the identify beat dialogue,,comand i,,
*enter a start time,,if your beat is at the start of a session all you need to do is enter an end time,,use the tab button till the first section of the finnish time is highlighted and enter 2 for a one bar loop,,3 for a two bar loop and so on,,
*hit enter and your done,,
*I think you can down load the whole manual from the digi site as a pdf,,it takes a while on a 56k modem,,but it's worth it,,
Also,,if brent or some one equaly as nice and informative is reading,,can we get a copy function for the beat markers in an update,,going through this prosess is okay with one or two beats,,but having to do it with several and then copying them across a whole song,,and then having to do it for each and every region is,,well lets just
say,,painful!!and consladate region just dont work for drums as the midi falls all out of wack!,,Cheers,,and good luck
Old 05-12-2002, 06:43 AM

If you guys go to the digidesign website and click on the link to the online magazine, there is an article regarding this exact concept.

THe article is a called something about 'meat and potatoes' and goes over the use of some audiosuite plug-ins. One of them that they go over is the 'Time-Compression' plug in that does exactly what you are inquiring about. It was easy. I always configured all of my drum loops in acid and correlated it to a certain tempo in Pro-Tools. However, with the use of this plugin, you don't have to be in acid at all and you don't have to try to guess what the tempo is.

The article is pretty cool. It actually has four wav. files that you can down loand and then a whold 5 page tutorial about using some of the a.s. plugins. It was great. Check it out...

Scott
WD 120 GB (Loops/BFD)
External FW 120 (PT Audio)
3.0 GB Ram
DIGI 002